Vail Connector Software Installation Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Vail server all setup and working perfectly as far as i can tell. I can remote desktop into the server no problem and i can use the dashboard on the server to setup users etc, i can use file shares no problem.

When i try and install the connector software on windows 7 laptop it runs though and get to the bit where it asks for the password, then i get the message

Cannot connect this computer to the network

This computer cannot connect to the network. Ensure that the time and date of this computer is set correctly to match the date and time on the server.

They are both set the same (well 3 seconds out but its the best I can manage!!). I think the error may be misleading slightly though if i enter the password incorrectly (tried on purpose) I still get the same error.

Any ideas what i can try from here as i am a bit stumped.

I did have WHS 2003 connector installed on here, but that has all been uninstalled.

Any help or suggestions of things i can try greatly appreciated!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:07 PM

Answers

• looks like i am an idiot!!

I thought i had set both to to PST but my laptop said GMT after a reboot. Changed it again to PST and its installing now.

Got them both set correctly and it installs.

• Marked as answer by karlbb Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:43 PM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:42 PM

All replies

• looks like i am an idiot!!

I thought i had set both to to PST but my laptop said GMT after a reboot. Changed it again to PST and its installing now.

Got them both set correctly and it installs.

• Marked as answer by karlbb Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:43 PM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:42 PM
  • Hello Karl,

As you've figured out, this is the same issue as discussed in the "Why does my BIOS clock have to be set to PST?" thread.

Still, I want to comment on that you should not have to do anything to your laptop. All you should need to do is set the BIOS time on the server to PST (-8 or more in you case), in fact you could simply set the clock back one day before you start to install the Vail server.

Why is this needed? Well there's a feature coming into server installation in a later build than the beta where you can verify and set the time and date of the server. Without this feature, a certificate on the server is set with a time stamp of "now". When the server goes out to sync with the Internet time servers for the first time it realises that it's clock isn't set correctly according to the time zone it thinks it is in (PST). So what happens then is that it rolls back the clock so that the UTC time of the server now is set in the past as far as the server as installed is concerned. The result is that the certificate on the server isn't valid yet. The most obvious symptom is that you cannot connect computers to the server as we cannot properly establish an SSL connection.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Kind regards /Lennart
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:59 PM