Understanding the Webmaster Tools RRS feed

• Question

• I'm wondering if anyone can help me understand the tools and how they can be used to improve one's position in Live search results.  Can someone point me to the documentation that defines and describes what is going on?

For examples.....

The five green boxes of "Rank".  It doesn't take a great imaginative leap to  understand that 5 is better than 4 which is better than 3, etc.  But what does 5 mean exactly?  And 4?...

When I use the Keywords tool, I sometimes see the numeral "1" in a light green box in the lower left.  The cursor changes to a hand when it passes over the box.  When I click on it ... I hear a "click" sound from my mouse.  That's it.  What is that number all about?

Top Outbound Links.  This tab introduces the  data with the sentence "Among all this website's outbound links, these 10 are performing the best."  What does "performing" mean in this context?

Ditto with the Top Backlinks.  Is this just giving me an "importance" ranking of the pages that have backlinks?

In browsing through the forum threads I see a lot of people siting issues about getting (or not getting) indexed, not getting rankings they want, and so on.

But I haven't found anything that relates to the value of the webmaster tools, how they can be used or how they can be improved to provide a real online asset for people who want to improve their findability via internet searches.  Maybe someone could point me to these discussions, as well.

Thanks....Duane

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As I have said in a recent post, I don't have an exact timeline, but you should see some improvements in a few weeks

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:40 PM

All replies

• Hi.

Q1:

The green boxes that indicates you’re ranking, just indicates how good you have combined you’re coding, tags and text, sitemap, robots.txt + +. So this doesn’t indicate in any way how high you will rank in the search engine. It just let you know if the “setup” is great/terrible. It doesn’t tell you if you have used the right words/text to get ranking well for whatever search words you are trying to get traffic from.

Q2

It took me a while to get the green box you are describing. This green box only indicates
    page 1 (page 2, page 3), and must be a bug in the system since there are only one page in the result. (So the function is to navigate from result page 1,2,3,4… the same way as a search result in any search engine)

Q3

What it means is that these are the outgoing links from you’re website that is best ranked in the Live Search system. Again, that doesn’t mean that they are ranking high in any result, but that they have combined the coding, text, meta tags, sitemap, robots.txt + + very well.

Q4

Same as Q3, but these are the websites that is linking to you’re website.

Webmaster Tool

I guess you’re not the only one that finds the webmaster tool a little bit confusing and poor compare to Google webmaster tool.

It has very little feedback for what you have to fix or doing wrong, so at the moment you have to try to read all the guidelines and just try to make a guess.

I hope the webmaster tool soon will give us more information like:

1. Not just a summary, that gives you the top 5 or top 10.. We want it all!

2. If there is double content, duplication, or other errors that it don’t like.

3. Support of redirect 301, and an easier way to remove a site.

So what I’m trying to say is that we want Live Search to give us a better overview of our content and more control, and until that happens there is not much to discuss regarding this tool (since it don’t contain any interesting to discuss).

Plz correct me if I´m wrong!

Best regards.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:21 AM
  • Hi,

As I have said in a recent post, I don't have an exact timeline, but you should see some improvements in a few weeks

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:40 PM