Error 0x800705AA: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

For some reason I cannot copy files from a client computer to a shared folder. I am trying to copy a 700MB Divx file to my WHS to serve up for viewing. Really weird...error message is as follows:

An unexpected error is preventing the operation. Make a note of this error code, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve this problem:

Error 0x800705AA: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

huh? "might"..."if"...ha ha.

I am trying to copy from my Vista Home Prem machine w/3GB RAM...to my WHS with 768MB RAM. File is 695MB Video Clip.

Anybody "might" wanna help me?

Thank you,

Ken

(Stenosis)

Saturday, April 7, 2007 1:50 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I had the same problem with Windows Vista Ultimate. I have found an easier workaround: Use XCOPY /Z.

Regarding the solution you could be lucky tuning your PoolUsageMaximum settings, but not sure.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 2:51 PM
  • Microsoft has  "depreciated" Xcopy with Robocopy in Vista. It is still a command-line utility, but there is a cool little GUI utility for it (for those who don't like typing long UNC names) here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/11/UtilitySpotlight/
    Make sure you checkbox the /Z in the Copy Options page.
    Monday, July 2, 2007 12:30 AM

All replies

• Ken,

This KB article talks about a known problem with file caching for large files.  This may not be your problem, but it sure fits your symptom.  The article says it applies only to XP, but I wouldn't rule Vista out.

Unfortunately, the fix requires a WHS code change.  You should bug this on the Connect site.

Murray

Saturday, April 7, 2007 3:50 AM
  •  

Had the same problem in Vista Ultimate.

Tried to copy a large file from DVD and did the same. tried to copy from command prompt, no go. The DVD was good no errors. I was able to copy smaller files from the DVD, but not these large files. I have 300mb files, 500mb and above. None of them worked.

[P4 2.8HT - 2GBRam - 2x160GB HDD on IDE1 - DVDRW on IDE2]

Workaround:

Used winzip to compress the file straight from DVD and save as zip in the HDD. Winzip was able to read the large file. Once complete, I unzipped it on the HDD. Voila.

Microsoft, get your act togther. Copying of files is the most basic OS operation. GET IT RIGHT!

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 12:48 AM
  • Hello,

I had the same problem with Windows Vista Ultimate. I have found an easier workaround: Use XCOPY /Z.

Regarding the solution you could be lucky tuning your PoolUsageMaximum settings, but not sure.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 2:51 PM
  • Thank you! I just encountered the same error, trying to copy large files (~500 MB) from a DVD.
    CMD prompt using your /z on xcopy command worked like a champ! Cheers!
    Rob
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 1:08 PM
  • Microsoft has  "depreciated" Xcopy with Robocopy in Vista. It is still a command-line utility, but there is a cool little GUI utility for it (for those who don't like typing long UNC names) here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/11/UtilitySpotlight/
    Make sure you checkbox the /Z in the Copy Options page.
    Monday, July 2, 2007 12:30 AM
  • I have this problem with Vista x86 too. Robocopy works, but failing to copy common computer files is a serious bug and should be fixed by Microsoft with an update.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 11:10 AM
  •  shawnc669 wrote:
    I have this problem with Vista x86 too. Robocopy works, but failing to copy common computer files is a serious bug and should be fixed by Microsoft with an update.

I thought there was already a MS fix for the Vista slow transfers issue?
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 6:26 PM
  • You should call into Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) for help.  They have some hotfixes they can give you for Vista to resolve this issue, if the patches apply to you.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 8:29 PM
  • Thank you!  copy /Z worked.   I am trying on a the latest and greatest Server OS  longhorn beta3 and I still get this resource problem.

A pentium 90 linux machine can copy any length of file as long as you have disk space.

MSFT should really get the act together.  This is a common sceanrio to copy large file in any IT organization

Thursday, July 26, 2007 6:43 PM
  •  

XCopy also worked for me, but this is a very common issue that gives me major pause.  I can't believe this issue hasn't been ID'd and fixed.  I have a high end laptop, media center with several Terabytes of storage and was able to copy the large files up to my NAS (Linux), but can't get them onto my Vista Ultimate laptop.  Microsoft: I've worked fprwith you for 17 years and this is an incredible failure in dev, test and sustained engineering.  Fix this!
    Monday, October 8, 2007 2:25 AM
  • Bumping this as I just ran into the same problem Sad
    Sunday, October 21, 2007 11:22 AM
  • I'm experiencing the same error everytime I try to copy a file that is larger than about 200MB, no matter what the format (AVI, ZIP, RAR, etc.)

I'm running the RTM version of WHS. The client is running Vista Ultimate. Is this a problem with the server, with the client connector, or with something else?

FYI: My server's 120GB internal HDD is divided into a 20GB SYS partition (of which 15GB is free) and a 100GB DATA partition (of which 90GB is free). I also have a 200GB internal HDD (of which 15GB is free) and a 500GB external HDD (of which 190GB is free).

Monday, October 22, 2007 7:15 PM
  • I remember seeing a recent thread related to the optimum hardware configuration for WHS in regards to the size of the primary or system hard drive in a multiple drive WHS installation. Some people questioned the rationale of using your largest hard drive as primary when a big chunk of the primary drive (ie 20GB less than it's capacity) would go unused. It turns out that the "unused" portion of the primary HDD is used to cache files that are copied to a WHS share before the tombstone is created and the file is moved to it's final resting place on a secondary drive. Not having a large enough primary drive could result in a failed file copy operation. Better posters than I would be able to shed more light on this or point to the original thread. Just trying to be helpful

Monday, October 22, 2007 8:29 PM
  • It's interesting that XCOPY with the /Z parameter successfully copies the files.

I can't say it's conclusive yet, but after rebooting my Vista Ultimate PC, I was able to copy these larger files to my WHS.  Prior to rebooting, I systematically closed down each open program and then attempted the copy again; it continued to fail.

So it would appear that there is a resource leak somewhere--perhaps in the WHS client connector, perhaps somewhere else. WHS Team: What's the best way for us to help you resolve this?

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 12:25 PM
  • The connector isn't involved in file copy operations, only backup, restore, network health, etc. You can access the WHS shares from any PC on your network, whether the connector is installed or not. If the user on the local PC doesn't match a user on WHS, you'll be prompted for a user id and password, but that's it.

So if rebooting your Vista machine "fixed" the problem, that suggests that it's a Vista issue.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 3:34 PM
  •  

Same problem.

XCopy worked for me too.

Thanks.

Monday, November 26, 2007 2:59 PM
  • I'm getting this error when attempting to copy a 700MB file from my XP machine to my Vista machine. My Vista machine is running a 10kRPM sata 250gb, 2gb ram, core2 quad, etc - so my hardware should never experience a slowdown, yet Vista is unable to accomplish even the simplest of file transfers. Thanks Microsoft! I want a refund for Vista.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 5:20 PM
  • I just started experiencing this myself as well.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 9:20 PM
  • I have also just start to get this problem. I can only copy one or two 600-750MB files after reconnecting the network drive.
    I have copy a lot of files but since middle of December I can not copy more than one or two.

I have a Linux samba file server and a Vista home premium.

No solutions from Microsoft?
    Friday, December 28, 2007 4:09 PM
  • Also having the same issue.

It's rather rediculous that Vista fails at copying a file.  I thought this feature worked since Windows 98?
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 7:50 PM
  • I just started having this issue recently as well.

I have a vista business machine and two ultimates and one of the ultimates, which is also doubling as MCE just won't copy any files from the server... it's crazy!

hopefully the much hyped SP1 will fix this, but i must admit i can't see clients being as patient when none of them can copy files off their server and transfer files around and i don't envy showing them how to use a CMD code line to move a simple single file...... as has been said - it's a FUNDAMENTAL function...

Friday, February 15, 2008 10:19 PM
  • BUMP

Hi Microsoft.

Please fix this.  Vista has been released for over a year!!!!!!!
    How can this fancy new operating system not perform such a basic opreation?

*SO ANGRY*
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:58 AM
  • Hi All,

I had this problem on my Vista Home Premium machine (using it as a MCE / Games rig only after i enabled write caching on my two SATA 500 GB Disks - whenever i tried to copy a file over roughly 200MB it would give me this error exactly (which is how i found this thread!)

I disabled enhanced performance and write caching, had to restart to for it to take effect, and then i could successfully copy an 800MB file from a DVD to my HDD..

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Sunday, March 30, 2008 12:27 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem when copying some large (50GB+) .VHD files.  I first came across this error when trying to copy some 20GB .VHD files from my XP Pro machine to a WHS shared folder.  It didn't work using the file explorer copy, but I was able to get it across using robocopy.

But, then today I was trying to move some files around between drives on the server and ran into it again.  Here is the scenario:

My WHS server has a drive used to store VHD files which is not part of the WHS storage pool.  I logged in locally (using mstsc) to the WHS, and connected an external USB drive, which I also did not join to the WHS storage pool. 

I then attemped to do a normal copy (drag and drop using file explorer) to move a 95GB .VHD file from the internal drive to the external drive (again, both drives are seperate from the WHS/DE storage pool).  After a long time, the copy failed with the error "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.".  Then, I opened up a command prompt and tried the same copy operation using robocopy (both with and without the "/z"). Each time it got to about 50%, and then had the same error.

Obviously this problem has nothing at all to do with the client OS or WHS connector, since it happens when doing local drive to drive copies from within WHS itself.  Also, since both the source and target drives were not part of the DE storage pool, I doubt it is related to that either. 

This is a pretty major problem that really needs to be resolved.

Friday, April 4, 2008 6:45 AM
  •  

I did finally succeed in doing the copy using TeraCopy. So in recap, for copying a 95GB file, locally on the WHS between drives

Windows Explorer Copy: FAILED
    Robocopy: FAILED (at 50%)
    Robocopy /Z: FAILED (at 50%)
    TeraCopy: ** SUCCEEDED! **

I have never run into this problem on Windows Server 2003 (where I normally use explorer copy, or robocopy), and I have copied files of well over 100GB in size, so I am not sure what the problem with WHS is, but at least I have a solution now with TeraCopy.

There do seem to be a high number of basic file copy problems with WHS, even when working with smaller files (but in large batches).  I have had more copy problems with WHS in the last 2 months than I have had in the past 10 years with all other Windows OSes combined (Server 2000, 2003, XP & Vista).

Specifically I have had errors such as the one discussed in this thread,  and "the specified network path is no longer available" error (even when doing local copies - not across the network!!), as well as abysmally slow copy speeds.  I hope that PP1 addresses some of this, because file copy is obviously a critical component of a device primarily intended to be a file server, and currently WHS is coming up short.

Saturday, April 5, 2008 3:44 PM
  • I had the same problem when trying to copy 700mb files across the network (from a shared DVD-Rom Drive on a WinXP Pro desktop) and off of my laptop's DVD to a local folder.  I did manage to get one copy going from a hard drive on the desktop to my laptop though with 11.8gb of files, which is about halfway done right now.  I was not able to open up a second copy from the WinXP desktop to my laptop from the desktop's hard drive though.

Laptop System Specs:
    2.5ghz Core2Duo
    4gb dual channel RAM
    Networked through 802.11g

Desktop System SpecS:
    2.4ghz P4
    1gb dual channel RAM
    Plugged into router (which is a Linksys wireless 54g)

"xcopy /z" worked for off of the cd's, but I haven't tried it across the network yet.

This is pathetic.  I wonder how this sort of bug could've even made it past the beta testing, much less a year of the OS being sold to millions of customers.  What an embarrassment.

Monday, April 21, 2008 1:56 AM
  • I've had a similar error: "0x800705AD: Insufficient quota to complete the requested service" when copying from my Vista RTM desktop to my XP SP2 laptop.    It also occured using another backup program SyncBackSE.

It was not resolved until I replaced my desktop OS with Vista SP1 (clean install).   Copying is also faster.

Monday, April 21, 2008 2:51 AM
  • I found the solution and was able to copy DVD files without using winzip or other utilities. Follow these directions:

• Run the command prompt in administrative mode
  • pressing ctrl + shift + enter or right click and run as administrator OR right click on command prompt and selecting run as administrator
  • To turn auto tuning off type “netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel = disabled”
Sunday, June 29, 2008 8:10 PM
  • I am having this same problem with Windows Server 2003 standard x86 sp2 on REAL SERVERS (HP 8 core 12GB ram sort of things)...This is ridiculous!
    Friday, October 17, 2008 8:45 AM
  • I am also getting the same problem on an x86 to 64 bit windows server 2003 copy in explorer with a 10GB file.
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 3:55 PM
  • sam_squarewave said:

I am also getting the same problem on an x86 to 64 bit windows server 2003 copy in explorer with a 10GB file.

Hi,

This is the forum for Windows Home Server. The newsgroups for Windows Server 2003 can be found here. And the technet support page is here.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 6:16 PM