Difficulty with system restore with linksys WRT54G wireless router... RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have been using WHS for about a month and as the time goes on I like it more and more.  I love that it is so easy to run back ups, and then you can access the back up at any time from anywhere.  On my dell inspiron 1150 laptop I had an automatic update that crashed/stalled the computer and made it run slow on reboot.  Normally I would uninstall the update and let it try again, but I thought why I don't I try a system restore from the server on a date before the bad update.  So I attached my power supply and the network cable and ran the restore CD.  I was able to see the home server and tell it which update that I wanted.  The restore began and it said that it would take about 40 to 50 minutes, so I went to bed.  The next morning, I had an error message that "An unknown network error had occurred".  By the progress bar I noticed that the reinstall was about half way through.  So I tried again.  After 6 attempts I couldn't get through the reinstall (the progress bar indicated that different amounts of progress had been made each time).  I looked on the forms and saw the comments about rebooting the server and the router.  This did not help.  I looked at the back up from another computer and I could see all the files in the back up without a problem.  Finally I changed a setting on the router from "Gateway" to "Router" as the primary function and the reinstall went off without a hitch, and the imaged computer works. I don't know what the router changes when you switch from "Gateway" to "Router", but what ever the change was it was the source of the "Unknown network error".
    As a note I had the most updated firmware on the router.
    Also on the restore CD when you have a failed re-install your only option is to "cancel" when you do that you get the check mark screen, and basically your computer is frozen there, so you need to hard shut down and reboot. 

My suggestions are from this experience:
    1) I think that a lot of people use the WRT54G linksys router (I believe that mine is a version 4), so it would be good to find out why that setting is what caused the failed install.  This way the average user will not run into this problem.
    2) The restore CD needs to be changed so that when you do have a failed install you can either have the option to retry the install or reboot the computer.

I think that this is a great feature of WHS, and it will save many people in the future.  Thanks for a great product.  Please post your comments if you have found this same issue.  Also if you know what is changed when you change from "Gateway" to "Router" that could also be useful.
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 4:35 PM

All replies

• You might want to check that setting on the Linksys website...

You could have disabled a level of security you want/need...

Sorry..I have a Netgear..

Friday, May 18, 2007 4:51 PM