questions on UMXSDRA RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!!

I installed SDR2.0 and test UMXdot11.exe. I use HWtest driver and two SORA devices successfully communicate pakcets in 802.11a.

Then, I test UMXSDRA.exe whether it works well or not. In both SORA board, I go to \\SORA_ROOT\bin in command window and type "umxsdra.exe -f 2422". Then, in the console in both SORAs, I set operation mode to ad-hoc mode. Then, I check ip address of both SORA board and send ping from SORA1 to SORA2. But, transmissions of pings failed.

Then, I execute umxsdra.exe again with debug option (i.e., umxsdra.exe -f 2422 -o 1) and find this debugging message 'failed to start rx thread'.

Then, I test with umxsdrbrick.exe again with the same configuration. In this case, ping message are exchanged between two devices, but both devices cannot exchange via iperf or hrping.

Is my test procedure correct? If not, could you advise me how I test it?

Thank you in advance.

• Edited by Jaeims Friday, January 10, 2014 5:47 AM
    Friday, January 10, 2014 4:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Jaeims,
    Sorry for inconvenience.
    1. For your first qustion, 'failed to start rx thread' means the sora thread for Dot11aRecvProc failed to be allocated or started. The possible reason is the hardware requirement. We need 4 cores to allocate 3 sora threads, and we will not use the first core. So you will need a 5-or-more-core-CPU to run the program 'umxsdra.exe'. For 'umxsdrbrick.exe', we allocated 2 sora threads, so it will run on a 4-core-CPU.
    2. It is difficult to to get TCP communicate working at the first time. You will normally need to tune rxpa/rxgain for both sora PC. You can try several steps
        a. One sora PC sends UDP broadcast packets, use 'dut dump' on the other sora PC, check the dumpped file by sdscope-11a.exe, and tune the receiving sora PC's rxpa/rx_gain
        b. Reverse the UDP broadcast direction, tune the other PC.
        c. Try UDP unicast packets for both directions
        d. Try TCP packets for both directions

Thanks,
    -Qi
    • Proposed as answer by Qi LuoEditor Monday, January 20, 2014 3:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Qi LuoEditor Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:36 AM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 3:10 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Jaeims,
    Sorry for inconvenience.
    1. For your first qustion, 'failed to start rx thread' means the sora thread for Dot11aRecvProc failed to be allocated or started. The possible reason is the hardware requirement. We need 4 cores to allocate 3 sora threads, and we will not use the first core. So you will need a 5-or-more-core-CPU to run the program 'umxsdra.exe'. For 'umxsdrbrick.exe', we allocated 2 sora threads, so it will run on a 4-core-CPU.
    2. It is difficult to to get TCP communicate working at the first time. You will normally need to tune rxpa/rxgain for both sora PC. You can try several steps
        a. One sora PC sends UDP broadcast packets, use 'dut dump' on the other sora PC, check the dumpped file by sdscope-11a.exe, and tune the receiving sora PC's rxpa/rx_gain
        b. Reverse the UDP broadcast direction, tune the other PC.
        c. Try UDP unicast packets for both directions
        d. Try TCP packets for both directions

Thanks,
    -Qi
    • Proposed as answer by Qi LuoEditor Monday, January 20, 2014 3:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Qi LuoEditor Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:36 AM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 3:10 AM
    Answerer
  • I appreciate your answer. My desktop has only 4 cores. So, I will use umxsdrbrick for my implementation.

I will follow your suggestion to enable TCP communication between two SORA board using umxsdrbrick. 

Thank you.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:18 AM