none
Inspiron E6400 Not Waking Up for Backup With Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Looking for any ideas on this...

My wife's Dell Inspiron E6400 used to run Vista x64 and would wake up from sleep every night for its backup without issue.  Since installing Windows 7 Beta x32 the machine has no problem going to sleep, but it sleeps right through the night without waking up for its backup.  This was a clean install of the Windows 7 Beta.  WHS conector was installed from the server without any issue and appears to work fine.  I have been able to perform manual backups on the machine.

Thanks,
    Chad 
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:45 PM

Answers

• crwagner said:

Thanks,

I will change the power profile to disable sleeping etc and leave it on (and plugged in of course) tonight and report back tomorrow.

Chad

Windows 7 has a new power option that needs to be set. Please verify your wake timers:

Control Panel>Power Options>Change plan settings>Change advanced power settings>Sleep>Allow wake timers

Thanks

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    • Proposed as answer by Lara JonesModerator Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by crwagner Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:27 PM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:39 PM

All replies

• Are you sure that the PC is configured to wake for backups?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 6:13 PM
  • Thanks for the reply,

Yes.  It is configured to wake up.  I even tried unchecking the "Wake this computer for backup" setting and then re-checking it last night.  Still no backup...

I had a similar problem with my desktop with Vista and Windows 7.  My desktop will not wake for backup unless I install Powerchute for my APC battery backup.  Problem is my laptop is not on a UPS.  Windows 7 seems to be detecting the laptops battery just fine and I did not have this problem with Vista and the laptop so I am not quite sure what to try next.

Chad
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:10 PM
  • Chad,
    It sounds as though W7 isn't providing the correct power info. Anything running on batteries will not be woken to do a backup, it has to be on mains power, (that's why some PC's on UPS units can have problems), so it sounds as though the WHS software 'thinks' the unit is only on batteries.
    If you leave the laptop on normally, not hibernating or sleeping - and on mains power, does the automatic backup take place?

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:34 PM
  • Thanks,

I will change the power profile to disable sleeping etc and leave it on (and plugged in of course) tonight and report back tomorrow.

Chad

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:54 PM
  • crwagner said:

Thanks,

Chad

Windows 7 has a new power option that needs to be set. Please verify your wake timers:

Control Panel>Power Options>Change plan settings>Change advanced power settings>Sleep>Allow wake timers

Thanks

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    • Proposed as answer by Lara JonesModerator Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by crwagner Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:27 PM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:39 PM
  • Lara,

Thanks! That fixed the problem.  Backup occured last night (waking up from sleep) without issue.

Regards,
    Chad
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:28 PM