Windows 7 Activation Problem after replacing motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• My personally  assembled PC based on Foxcom 45 GMX - V 945 was built in December 2008 USING a retail Version of VISTA Proffesional (not OEM) which was upraded to Windows 7 December 2010 Full Retail Version ULTIMATE. The Ethernet connection failed so my only option was to replace the motherboard with nearest compatible FOXCOM G41 MX-K G41. I Intalled my Win 7 succesfully and was asked to activate, which failed, I telepohoned Microsoft and was bluntly told that I must buy ANOTHER PRODUCT KEY, as the copy I bought is licenced to the failed Motherboard and is non transferable. This seems extremly unfair

Monday, August 29, 2011 9:31 AM

Answers

• Retail versions of Windows are transferable, just that only one installation at a time is permitted. Did you explain clearly that you had only one installation?

If online activation fails, try the automated telephone activation. If that does not succeed, wait for an activation operator and explain that you have only one installation.

If your Windows 7 Ultimate is a full retail version, you are entitled to separate installations of both that and your original retail Vista.

You could have fitted an ethernet card (if you had a free slot) or a USB ethernet adaptor to the original motherboard.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:09 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 10:35 AM
  • Print your MGADiag report (address in announcement 1 above) and let's make sure of all facts.  Noel is correct.  You can transfer a retail copy of Windows to the new mobo.  But if the current copy of Ultimate shows that you are using an MSDN product key then you have been cheated by the seller and that would explain MSFT's refusal to activate.  The tech may have confused his reasoning but still have been correct.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Monday, August 29, 2011 12:26 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Retail versions of Windows are transferable, just that only one installation at a time is permitted. Did you explain clearly that you had only one installation?

If online activation fails, try the automated telephone activation. If that does not succeed, wait for an activation operator and explain that you have only one installation.

If your Windows 7 Ultimate is a full retail version, you are entitled to separate installations of both that and your original retail Vista.

You could have fitted an ethernet card (if you had a free slot) or a USB ethernet adaptor to the original motherboard.

Monday, August 29, 2011 10:35 AM
  • Print your MGADiag report (address in announcement 1 above) and let's make sure of all facts.  Noel is correct.  You can transfer a retail copy of Windows to the new mobo.  But if the current copy of Ultimate shows that you are using an MSDN product key then you have been cheated by the seller and that would explain MSFT's refusal to activate.  The tech may have confused his reasoning but still have been correct.
    Monday, August 29, 2011 12:26 PM
    Answerer
  • "Cbarnhorst" wrote in message news:6786d34f-3d8c-4215-8d15-90b187940722...
    Print your MGADiag report (address in announcement 1 above) and let's make sure of all facts.  Noel is correct.  You can transfer a retail copy of Windows to the new mobo.  But if the current copy of Ultimate shows that you are using an MSDN product key then you have been cheated by the seller and that would explain MSFT's refusal to activate.  The tech may have confused his reasoning but still have been correct.

Dominic, not me :)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, August 29, 2011 1:48 PM