none
Add spam filter to the forum RRS feed

• General discussion

• Bot generated spams are appearing on the forum. It looks like the bot is adding posts to posts containing certain keywords. Don't think forum moderators should spend time to fight a machine. 

Add a "report url as abuse" link to the post. if a url is reported to many times, ban the url from new posts and quotes. Banning user is not useful as the bots can simply change a .Net passport to start spamming again. 

Also forum moderators should be able to notify administrators to remove a user's posts from all forums. 

MSMVP VC++
    Friday, March 27, 2009 5:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Sheng,
    It seems funny that someone has replied here with one of these spams.  We'll certainly look into adding some auto feature for this. 
    Sam Jarawan - Senior Development Lead - Server and Tools Online
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 5:54 PM
  • If only some of us had Moderator rights here and could delete the spam post !

As it is we'll probably have to wait until the MS guys get to work on Monday morning US West Coast time.

P.S. There is already a ban request for this spammer in the Moderator forum and I have seconded that request there. I've also deleted all seven of her/his posts in the MSDN and TechNet Search Feedback forum where I *do* have Moderator rights (precisely so I can get rid of Off-Topic (sent to Off-Topic) and Spam posts at times when Redmond itself isn't monitoring the forum).

Later: I see now the person I was replying to IS from MS and he has been active today (Saturday).

But why, Sam, didn't you also delete that spam item ? Surely YOU have Moderator rights here ?

WSS FAQ sites: WSS 2.0: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007: http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language titles) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:45 PM
  • Ya I actually had to bolt out of here to take my kids to a movie (Monsters vs Aliens) so I didn't have a chance, i'll delete it now.
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 9:29 PM
  • Right now, this forum site is wide open to spam attacks.  There are few community moderators left and they've lost the rights needed to quickly dispatch spam.  The forum administrators have been very slow to respond to warnings, the spammer Sheng is talking about was allowed to operate unchecked for a week.

Spam was a non-issue back in the Forums 2.x days, the quick response from the community was always effective in suppressing the problem.  Not counting the chat forums.  Alicia Scales of STO has outsourced resources available to clean up the mess.  Afaik, they all have site-wide rights to delete the cruft.

It is up to them to solve the problem.  Being slow to respond ensures they've got more work to do.  But that's the cynical point of view.  Who owns MSN groups today?
    Hans Passant.
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 10:32 PM
  • I've escalated the issue for this particular user, we should have them banned pretty soon and someone will have to go and delete his posts, I'll have to ask Alicia who will do the work.
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 10:41 PM
  • Now forum administrators are fighting the machine...
    I'd rather have machines to fight machines.

MSMVP VC++
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 4:16 AM
  • It seems that the Chinese forum doesn't have this kind of problem, but I wish there's a global mechanism to stop spam for the whole forum.
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 4:28 AM
  • Add a "report url as abuse" link to the post. if a url is reported to many times, ban the url from new posts and quotes. Banning user is not useful as the bots can simply change a .Net passport to start spamming again. 
    MSMVP VC++

Could be tricky - they could just start using tinyurl links, and you'd be SOL.  It would be much better if admins simply had a "nuke user" button, that both deleted the user and wiped out any posts that they have ever made.  If it's easy enough to wipe out all of the work that the bots do, the spammers will eventually find another venue.
    Aaron Alton | thehobt.blogspot.com
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 5:49 AM
  • Could be tricky - they could just start using tinyurl links, and you'd be SOL.  It would be much better if admins simply had a "nuke user" button, that both deleted the user and wiped out any posts that they have ever made.  If it's easy enough to wipe out all of the work that the bots do, the spammers will eventually find another venue.
    Aaron Alton | thehobt.blogspot.com

Hopefully it is possible to recognize tinyurl links and such and follow them to the real site.
    Sam Hobbs; see my SimpleSamples.Info
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 6:57 PM