Network card problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

my onboard NIC has failed and I'm trying to reconfigure to use the external NIC as the main. I've disabled the onboard, configured the external with same IP etc. as the onboard. When a cable is plugged in it's recognized, but there no packet in/out of the NIC. It seems like the server does not know that the external NIC exsists.

Does anyone please have a solution to this problem?

Regards

Ken

Sunday, August 17, 2008 1:46 PM

Answers

• Ihaa, mangaged to solve the problems.

What I did, as a last desperate meassure, I disabled the onboard NIC in the BIOS settings.

This then triggered the PCI NIC to work, suddenly packets tried to go in/out and with new settings it all works.

Why it's like this beats me, but I'm happy.

Thanks to you all for the help I received.

Ken

Greetings from Norway

Monday, August 18, 2008 10:52 AM

All replies

• Ken,

Sorry for the questions, but it will help narrow it down!

Is this on the server, or a client? Also, are you using fixed IP's or DHCP?

When you installed the new card, did it require drivers and if so, did you use server 2003 ones if it was in the server?

If this was a fixed IP, you have got the same subnet mask as other computers on the network and have also entered the same Gateway and DNS servers?

Colin

Sunday, August 17, 2008 3:05 PM
  • It is on the server and I'm using fixed IP. The external (second) NIC has been installed since day one, and is of the same make (drivers are the same) as the onboard NIC.

The card is set up exactly the same way as the failed onboard NIC all the way through.

When I check the status tab (right click on icon) there are 0 packets in/out. The server has been reset several times, enabled/disabled the cards, but to no avail.

I'm starting wondering if the second NIC has failed too...

Sunday, August 17, 2008 3:23 PM
  • Hi,

OK. Are you sure it was the NIC that failed and not something else?

Also, I assume you have a keyboard etc., on your server, so if you go into the Device management, does it show the 'new' card are OK. Also, what made you decide it was the connection that had failed, and not something else.

Colin

Sunday, August 17, 2008 3:29 PM
  • As you added the same IP address as for the onboard chip, didn't you get a message, that the IP address is already in use?

What is the output of ipconfig /all in command line?

Can you ping the servers IP address from himself?

Anything in the event log?

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Sunday, August 17, 2008 4:44 PM
  • Under device management it shows both NIC's, no problems there. The reason for my decision is that the onboard faulty NIC does not show as connected when I plugg in the Network Cable. I also tried to ping it from another PC, no luck.

With the PCI NIC it comes up as connected when the cable is plugged in, but I can not ping it still, no answer.

The server itself is on my desk with keyboard/mouse/monitor connected.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 4:49 PM
  •  Olaf Engelke wrote:

As you added the same IP address as for the onboard chip, didn't you get a message, that the IP address is already in use?

Yes I got the message and then changed the IP on the onboard NIC, and then reset server.

Olaf Engelke wrote:

What is the output of ipconfig /all in command line?

Output for PCI NIC is the same as in Windows, output for onboard NIC is "Media disconnected" with or without network cable connected. I'm using the same network cable, and this works on my laptop.

Olaf Engelke wrote:

Can you ping the servers IP address from himself?

Yes

Olaf Engelke wrote:

Anything in the event log?

Nothing directly related to the NIC, only as a consequence that the NIC isn't working ie. updates/timecheck etc.

Ken

Sunday, August 17, 2008 5:03 PM
  • Hi,

(Been out with the dogs!)

I assume you have a router in the network which could supply DHCP. If so, what happens if you change the NIC settings to get an address. Also, from a command prompt, try running netstat (netstat  /? will give all the options).

It couldn't be a 'duff' cable or connector? Also, this page from Microsoft gives a few toolcommands to try.

Colin

Sunday, August 17, 2008 5:13 PM
  • I went through this recently, even went out and bought a new NIC card, and found out it was a driver problem and nothing to do with hardware.

Try uninstalling all netwok drivers and re-installing those that came with either the motherboad or the NIC.  Worth a punt.

Monday, August 18, 2008 8:31 AM
  •  

... and disable the not used network adapter in device manager.

Olaf

Monday, August 18, 2008 8:33 AM
  • Good point Olaf.

You end up with a "X"  through a network connection in the system tray if you dont disable

Monday, August 18, 2008 9:14 AM
  • Just another question regarding this issue:

Which behaviour is shown by the link LED on the switch and the LED on the network card?

Constant on, blinking, off?

Olaf

Monday, August 18, 2008 9:37 AM
  • Thanks for all the help and suggestions on this one, but I'm affraid it still doesn't work.

The cable/connector is OK, working on my desktop computer.

Tried to uninstall all network drivers and then used add new hardware to find the card agian, no avail.

The card I'm using is Realtek RTL8139 family, both the onboard and the PCI NIC.

Replaced the PCI NIC with another I had, no diiference, this is also RTL8139.

Still no packets going in/out at all, which is what I find strange, not even an attempt. Is it anything in the register that needs changing, I think I remember something about having to choose a NIC when I did the initial installation of the WHS.

The LED on the PCI NIC is constant on, not even blinking when trying to obtain adress in DHCP mode.

The LED on the moterboard NIC is constant off, not even registered on the switch in the network.

Ken

Monday, August 18, 2008 10:05 AM
  • Both appearances - constant off and constant on - are bad signs.

I remember, that the one of my onboard cards on the Vista PC, which had trouble to keep the connection up for completing the backup to WHS was also a Realtek based. The Marvell chip on the other port had never any network problems. (I know Realtek is cheap, but this may have a reason or a result.)

And if it is some kind of driver issue, it may be in conflict with something else recently installed.

You can try to swap the new card to another PCI slot, just in case it is conflicting with other hardware sharing the same PCI channel blocking some features of the card.

Can you borrow another network card somewhere with a different chip and try that?

Olaf

Monday, August 18, 2008 10:19 AM
  • Ihaa, mangaged to solve the problems.

What I did, as a last desperate meassure, I disabled the onboard NIC in the BIOS settings.

This then triggered the PCI NIC to work, suddenly packets tried to go in/out and with new settings it all works.

Why it's like this beats me, but I'm happy.

Thanks to you all for the help I received.

Ken

Greetings from Norway

Monday, August 18, 2008 10:52 AM