none
Newbie to both WHS and iTunes/ipod RRS feed

• Question

• I am confused on how the WHS works with iTunes - in particular is it possible to download my iTunes library (or parts) to my iPod/iTouch device from WHS?  I understand the "steaming" part and my entire libary is now available on the server.  But I was hoping to use the WHS as way to download new/different music to my portable device. 

What am I missing? 

I imagine the worst case is a three step process:
       1) I copy the data I want from my WHS/Music to my C:\music
       2) import (or add to iTunes library)
       3) sync to device

Saturday, July 4, 2009 1:04 AM

All replies

• No, you can't sync your iPod directly to your server.

You have a couple of choices. My preference, since I'm the master of all media in my house, is to maintain a local iTunes library on my workstation, and use a scheduled task to run a script that updates the music library on my server from the local library. Another option is to move your library to your server and point itunes on your local computer at that library. Then you can maintain the library locally, but stream it from the server to other devices in your house.

One thing to be careful of if you opt to move your iTunes library to your server: iTunes is a single user application, and it doesn't know how to share the library. If you have more than one comouter running iTunes and they all use the same library, you can corrupt files.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 3:05 AM