none
How to create a report in MS Money. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have forgotten how to create a report about an individual payment within a bank account.  There is all kinds of information how to manipulate reports, favourite ones, etc, but not how to create one.  Would greatly appreciate a few pointers.

I think I have the 'sunset version'.  What a shame the ancient MS Money format was discontinued - at least, if one's computer was upgraded to 64 bit.  At least I could choose a presentation colour for my bank accounts, and the screen was quicker and easier to read.  There are so many possibilities now, that a person who simply wants to track bank payments is overwhelmed by the myriad. I get the impression that those who design accounting programs think that everyone is a merchant banker, who needs pie charts of every sixpence spent.

Thanks,

Clive.

Clive.

Sunday, December 28, 2014 6:15 AM

All replies

• A report is not made totally from scratch, but is made by starting with a report that is close to what you want, such as the Account Transactions or Account Balances with Details report. Then click Customize(Customise?) in the left column. Make changes. If this will be used again, click Favorites->AddToFavorites. Then you can get back to your modified version, and maybe reset the original report
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 1:58 PM
  • Thanks again for your response Cal.

I regret that your instruction doesn't seem to work - perhaps I haven't understood correctly, or perhaps the US (sunset) version  of Mny I have is different.  I have since downloaded Ms Money 2005 UK, and uninstalled the sunset, but the new program now asks me for a password, which has placed another log across my progress! I have no idea which password it wants, or how to create one. 

When I tried your solution on the sunset version, I simply got a report renamed and added to the list of favourites, but with the same data from the original report.  Not progress!

Software designers have their own brief, I know, and must be able to sell their product.  However, it would be nice if one of them would realise that so many people like me simply want a bank statements accounting checker.  We use cash (tsk, how neolithic!), we don't analyse finances to the nth degree, and don't spend all our time categorising groceries to check out how we live.  A certain instinct takes care of that!

A list of transactions, and the ability to create a report, would be enough for me, and might make the program less impenetrable.  Dream along!

Back to paper and pencil for now.  If you can enlighten me how to get past the password problem in Money 2005 UK, I would appreciate it.

Clive.

Monday, December 29, 2014 10:20 AM
  • I regret that your instruction doesn't seem to work - perhaps I haven't understood correctly, or perhaps the US (sunset) version  of Mny I have is different.  I have since downloaded Ms Money 2005 UK, and uninstalled the sunset, but the new program now asks me for a password, which has placed another log across my progress! I have no idea which password it wants, or how to create one. 

Microsoft Money Plus cannot properly read or use a UK Money file. Money 2005 UK cannot read or use a Money Sunset file. However it can try and fail. If you had a Money 2005 UK file, and attempted to convert it, it would have left a copy of the unconverted file with a name of the form *.m14. It is that file that you will want to copy to *.mny name and open that with Money 2005 UK. If Money Sunset, or other US version of Money, created your Money file, you will have to return to Sunset to use your existing file.

Alternatively you could restore a backup to Money 2005 UK or Money sunset-- whichever it was that made your existing file.  While thinking of what a loss of your Money file would do, think about what would happen if your hard drive crashed. Review your backup policy. I suggest having more than one vintage of backup file.

Once things are working again as they were before, you can continue with the report problem. Can you produce a report with Customize that does pretty much what you want? Printing a register will give a list of transactions.

Monday, December 29, 2014 3:58 PM
  • Thanks Cal. 

I will remain with/go back to sunset.  It is working.  Also, I have at last found a way around creating new reports. (That may have been what you were telling me, but I missed it).

In the 'tools' menu, go to the bottom 'toolbar display settings', select  'custom (customized)' in the menu.  Then each payee can be created as a button on the top toolbar.  when back in 'banking'. clicking the relevant payee button then gives - hey presto - a report for that payee.  These payees then seem to find their way into 'favo(u)rite reports'.

Whew!

Perhaps computers were invented to keep us off the streets.

Clive.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 3:29 PM