Remote Web Access - Streaming Music RRS feed

• Question

• I've loaded up my music on the server and I've been able to add music manually to the share and it then shows up for remote web access playing. But I've since installed itunes on the server and put the Itunes folder under the Music share. All the new music I've purchased is .m4a which is a file type that can be played. I've verified I have .m4a files that I originally loaded onto the server. What's the deal here? Why aren't the new songs showing up in the Remote Web Access music? I'm going to test adding a song mp3 and m4a and see if it shows up.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 4:57 AM

All replies

• Can you try following action?

1. Open the windows media player in the server

2. Find your server in windows media player and browse the music folder. Does yourfiles existed in media player and can be played?

Saturday, February 25, 2012 12:10 PM
  • No they do not. Can this be fixed?
    • Edited by kyeongshik Thursday, March 1, 2012 4:27 AM
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 4:26 AM
  • .m4a is a container, which can hold music encoded in several different formats. Not all of those formats are supported by Windows Home Server, though this is not obvious from the product documentation. In particular, Apple Lossless is not supported.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, March 1, 2012 11:49 AM
  • Hi Ken,

Is there a way to see if these new files are Apple Lossless? I don't think they are but I wouldn't know.

Thanks,

Dan

Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:12 PM
  • iTunes can tell you; you can add that column in list view, or view the properties of an individual track.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:53 PM
  • I will check this out when I get home. In the off chance that it's not apple lossless, any other ideas on why Windows isn't picking up the new music?
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 9:55 PM
  • The music is not apple lossless. Do you have any other ideas? It's just so strange that it doesn't show up even though it's in a subfolder of the Music share.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:43 AM