OCS 2007 R2 conference RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

May I know the difference between Group Chat and Live Meeting Server? and also, what is the difference between web conferencing and video conferencing ?

Thank you very much !!!
    Friday, April 10, 2009 3:24 AM

Answers

• The Web Conferencing role is the MCU component which facilitate all 'Live Meeting' conferences, but does not handle any of the multimedia connections.  That is left to the A/V Conferencing roles which handles audio and video within Live Meetings.

There is no 'Live Meeting' server in OCS as the Web+A/V Conf roles are the engine behind Live Meeting.  There is only a Live Meeting client which connects to those server roles.  Any references to a Live Meeting server you see online are typically in relation to Microsoft's hosted Live Meeting service which has been around a while and pre-dates OCS.

The 'start video call' function is an OCS client peer-to-peer session while the term 'Video Conferencing' could loosly apply to either a P2P or LM conferencing; it a pretty generic term.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by AiyaThomas Friday, April 10, 2009 3:45 PM
    Friday, April 10, 2009 12:51 PM

All replies

• Let me give it a shot :-)

Group Chat (OCS 2007 R2 only) = multiple participants in one or more secure chat sessions / rooms where the data can be kept persistent e.g. follow the sun where R&D group in North America discussed a topic and it gets picked up by Asia Pacific colleagues the next day

Live Meeting Server = part of OCS core functionality if setup in-house otherwise is a fee-based, hosted Microsoft service e.g. Technet Webcasts

Web Conferencing = online meeting for multiple participants with/without VoIP audio streaming and/or video (usually the presenter) via a web browser (ActiveX, java or full Live Meeting 2005/2007 client). Presentations, applications or desktop of the speaker can be shared with participants. This is equivalent to the in-house "LM Server" server.

Video Conferencing = a peer-to-peer IM chat can optionally include webcam video from 1 or both parties

Hope this little overview helps. Thanks.
    TechNet Forum Moderator - http://www.leedesmond.com
    Friday, April 10, 2009 4:14 AM
  • Thanks Desmond.

But I'm still confusing with the conferencing part. I know there is Web Conference Server and A/V Server. If I would like to make a group conference (multi-users) with video and audio. How can I make it success? Do I need to install both server or just only one? And do I need Live Meeting Server? Also, is the "Start Video Call" function in OC 2007 is the same as Video Conferencing that you mentioned above?

Sorry that I have so many questions.
    • Unmarked as answer by AiyaThomas Friday, April 10, 2009 3:45 PM
    Friday, April 10, 2009 4:32 AM
  • The Web Conferencing role is the MCU component which facilitate all 'Live Meeting' conferences, but does not handle any of the multimedia connections.  That is left to the A/V Conferencing roles which handles audio and video within Live Meetings.

There is no 'Live Meeting' server in OCS as the Web+A/V Conf roles are the engine behind Live Meeting.  There is only a Live Meeting client which connects to those server roles.  Any references to a Live Meeting server you see online are typically in relation to Microsoft's hosted Live Meeting service which has been around a while and pre-dates OCS.

The 'start video call' function is an OCS client peer-to-peer session while the term 'Video Conferencing' could loosly apply to either a P2P or LM conferencing; it a pretty generic term.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Friday, April 10, 2009 12:51 PM