Can two WHS work together on the same network? RRS feed

• Question

• I am having some problems upgrading from the trial version and I since I would like to upgrade the hardware anyway, I thought I would confront the issue now.  I'll install my OEM upgrade on the new machine and transfer files from the old machine.

But, I'd like some assurance that I can install this second machine on the same subnet as my first trial version WHS and actually transfer the files.

Could anybody offer some experience with this?  Where do I look for the files to transfer and how can I make sure that my users on the new machine correspond to the ones on the old machine?  Are there any other issues I might need to know about?
    Monday, February 16, 2009 6:02 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can have more than one server running on the same network. As for file transfer, the supported method is to copy share to share, using a client PC. As an alternative, you may wish to back up the shares on one server, using the backup functionality added in Power Pack 1, then restore it on the other server.

You will have to recreate users on the new server. As for making sure that they "correspond" to the ones on your old server, presumably you know how the users on the old server are configured today. In that case, simply recreate that configuration.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 16, 2009 6:22 PM
  • Why not simply reconnect the hard drive? Or connect a new one, if you've since re-used the old one?

As for mapping a drive, no you can't map a drive and have it available for backing up the shares. WHS will not expose a network drive in the console, and only drives exposed in the console can be used by Windows Home Server (for any WHS purpose).

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by pksky Friday, February 27, 2009 11:26 PM
    Monday, February 16, 2009 7:10 PM
  • pksky said:

My sense is that the way that WHS handles drives might make them incompatable with my other XP Pro Windows machine.  Could I just pull them out and expect them to be read in the XP machine?

Yep.  The drives are formatted with the standard NTFS file system.

pksky said:

Is that what you mean by "client PC"?

Yes.  Client PCs are PCs in your LAN that are not servers (i.e. XP/Vista/Seven).

pksky said:

What about copying to the new machine, would I do that through the console?

No.  You would go the network shares on the new server, then copy and paste from your client to the server.

pksky said:

Wouldn't some shares be unavailable?

Not if you setup the permissions on the new server first.

pksky said:

I suppose I could make them all available to the client user.

Exactly. :)

• Marked as answer by pksky Friday, February 27, 2009 11:25 PM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:23 AM
  • pksky said:

This looks like my best bet and I might have thought it up myself, except I didn't realize you could just pull the drives and expect them to be read in another Windows machine.

I'm going to have to get some hardware and will return with a report.

What is going on with the storage system whereby the collection of drives installed on a WHS host all look like the same system in the console?

They don't.  The system drive has a Windows logo on it, the rest don't.

pksky said:

Why do I have to go through a drive removal wizard to pull a drive if I can just pull them out altogether and put them in another windows machine?

So that the server can remove the drive properly (which includes changing the tombstones to point to the new location of the files).

pksky said:

That does not foul up the folder duplication system?

Not if you use the Console to remove the drive before you physically remove it from the system.

pksky said:

And the drive wizard is another thing I tried that was interrupted by the two hour boot schedule.

I guess I should have explained better.  My suggestion was to shut your old server down permanently.  Shut it down, pull the drives out, connect them to a client (one at a time), then copy the data from your client to your new server.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 1:14 AM
  • Here is what I finally did that worked.

I was finally able to remove the second IDE so that now WHS was functioning on just the one drive.  I then added the drive as a backup for the server.  I backed it up and then rebooted, went into the BIOS and disabled the IDE functionality so that the system was reading SATA only.  I rebooted and reinstalled from a USB port DVD reader.

I probably won't go back to IDE on the system and only wanted to reinstall long enough to migrate the system elsewhere.  But PROBLEM SOLVED for this step of the game.

Friday, February 27, 2009 11:24 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can have more than one server running on the same network. As for file transfer, the supported method is to copy share to share, using a client PC. As an alternative, you may wish to back up the shares on one server, using the backup functionality added in Power Pack 1, then restore it on the other server.

You will have to recreate users on the new server. As for making sure that they "correspond" to the ones on your old server, presumably you know how the users on the old server are configured today. In that case, simply recreate that configuration.

Monday, February 16, 2009 6:22 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

Yes, you can have more than one server running on the same network. As for file transfer, the supported method is to copy share to share, using a client PC. As an alternative, you may wish to back up the shares on one server, using the backup functionality added in Power Pack 1, then restore it on the other server.

I am having problems with the Server Backup functionality.  I removed the host drive that was holding the server backup and now I can't remove the server backup from the computer backup list in the console.  Consequently, I cannot establish a new backup.  What I would like to do is backup the server to another share in the network.  Can you do this?  I assume that I can once I get rid of the old server backup listed in the console.  I have tried mapping a network share to a drive letter, but I get no invitation to use it for server backup like I did when I added an extra drive to the host.

Am I going to have to add a hard drive to backup the server?  Or is there a way to get rid of the server backup listed in the console for that removed hard drive?
    Monday, February 16, 2009 7:02 PM
  • Why not simply reconnect the hard drive? Or connect a new one, if you've since re-used the old one?

As for mapping a drive, no you can't map a drive and have it available for backing up the shares. WHS will not expose a network drive in the console, and only drives exposed in the console can be used by Windows Home Server (for any WHS purpose).

• Marked as answer by pksky Friday, February 27, 2009 11:26 PM
    Monday, February 16, 2009 7:10 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

Thanks, that helps and sums things up for me too. 

I should say that I have successfully backed up files on WHS to a network share using the native backup tool.  But because the process is repeatedly interrupted by reboots, I am reluctant to trust these backups.
    Monday, February 16, 2009 8:00 PM
  • pksky said:

Thanks, that helps and sums things up for me too. 

I should say that I have successfully backed up files on WHS to a network share using the native backup tool.

Which "native backup tool"?  If you are using NTBackup (part of the underlying OS), it probably won't work because that app doesn't know what tombstones are.

pksky said:

But because the process is repeatedly interrupted by reboots, I am reluctant to trust these backups.

My suggestion is to pull the hard drive(s) from the old server, connect them to a client PC, then copy the data from x:\DE\shares (where x is the drive letter assigned to your drive) to your new server.  This way, you don't have to deal with a time-bombed eval copy of WHS rebooting on you every 2 hours.
    Monday, February 16, 2009 8:35 PM
  • "My suggestion is to pull the hard drive(s) from the old server, connect them to a client PC, then copy the data from x:\DE\shares (where x is the drive letter assigned to your drive) to your new server.  This way, you don't have to deal with a time-bombed eval copy of WHS rebooting on you every 2 hours."

My sense is that the way that WHS handles drives might make them incompatable with my other XP Pro Windows machine.  Could I just pull them out and expect them to be read in the XP machine?  Is that what you mean by "client PC"?  What about copying to the new machine, would I do that through the console?  Wouldn't some shares be unavailable?  I suppose I could make them all available to the client user.
    Monday, February 16, 2009 9:20 PM
  • pksky said:

My sense is that the way that WHS handles drives might make them incompatable with my other XP Pro Windows machine.  Could I just pull them out and expect them to be read in the XP machine?

Yep.  The drives are formatted with the standard NTFS file system.

pksky said:

Is that what you mean by "client PC"?

Yes.  Client PCs are PCs in your LAN that are not servers (i.e. XP/Vista/Seven).

pksky said:

What about copying to the new machine, would I do that through the console?

No.  You would go the network shares on the new server, then copy and paste from your client to the server.

pksky said:

Wouldn't some shares be unavailable?

Not if you setup the permissions on the new server first.

pksky said:

I suppose I could make them all available to the client user.

Exactly. :)

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:23 AM
  • This looks like my best bet and I might have thought it up myself, except I didn't realize you could just pull the drives and expect them to be read in another Windows machine.

What is going on with the storage system whereby the collection of drives installed on a WHS host all look like the same system in the console?  Why do I have to go through a drive removal wizard to pull a drive if I can just pull them out altogether and put them in another windows machine?  That does not foul up the folder duplication system?  And the drive wizard is another thing I tried that was interrupted by the two hour boot schedule.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:46 PM
  • pksky said:

This looks like my best bet and I might have thought it up myself, except I didn't realize you could just pull the drives and expect them to be read in another Windows machine.

What is going on with the storage system whereby the collection of drives installed on a WHS host all look like the same system in the console?

They don't.  The system drive has a Windows logo on it, the rest don't.

pksky said:

Why do I have to go through a drive removal wizard to pull a drive if I can just pull them out altogether and put them in another windows machine?

So that the server can remove the drive properly (which includes changing the tombstones to point to the new location of the files).

pksky said:

That does not foul up the folder duplication system?

Not if you use the Console to remove the drive before you physically remove it from the system.

pksky said:

And the drive wizard is another thing I tried that was interrupted by the two hour boot schedule.

I guess I should have explained better.  My suggestion was to shut your old server down permanently.  Shut it down, pull the drives out, connect them to a client (one at a time), then copy the data from your client to your new server.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 1:14 AM
  • Once again so I am entirely clear:  I can pull out the drives of Windows Home Server without using the drive wizard and expect them to be read when I put them in some other client machine like XP Pro.
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 10:17 PM
  • Hi,

pksky said:

Once again so I am entirely clear:  I can pull out the drives of Windows Home Server without using the drive wizard and expect them to be read when I put them in some other client machine like XP Pro.

Yes, as described in this FAQ.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, February 22, 2009 5:42 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by pksky Friday, February 27, 2009 11:21 PM
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 11:20 PM
  • Here is what I finally did that worked.

I was finally able to remove the second IDE so that now WHS was functioning on just the one drive.  I then added the drive as a backup for the server.  I backed it up and then rebooted, went into the BIOS and disabled the IDE functionality so that the system was reading SATA only.  I rebooted and reinstalled from a USB port DVD reader.

I probably won't go back to IDE on the system and only wanted to reinstall long enough to migrate the system elsewhere.  But PROBLEM SOLVED for this step of the game.

Friday, February 27, 2009 11:24 PM