MS Money Sunset, removal of stocks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In Microsoft Money Sunset, I have a couple of unwanted investment names which show up in the "update prices" window, which is linked from the left pane on the portfolio page. Going through accounts, these are not listed. I'd like to find where they seem to be hidden and remove. Charting these seemed like a good idea quite awhile ago and I clicked a link to do so. Can't remember where!

Saturday, April 27, 2019 4:10 PM

All replies

• On my older version, investments are listed in Investments, not in Accounts

Since you don't own any of these unwanted ones, they won't appear in the Holdings View or Performance View.  But they do appear in the Quotes View, Fundamentals View, and Positions View.  Each view has a delete button at the bottom of the screen.

Saturday, April 27, 2019 4:50 PM
  • First select , Portfolio->ChangePortfolioView->ShowClosedPositions and  Portfolio->ChangePortfolioView->ShowWatchAccounts

See if you now see them in the Portfolio. That will let you get to that investment easily by right-clicking.

If you don't see one, you can create a fake Dividend for a stock. You could do this in a Watch (pretend) investment account, but you will be deleting the transaction anyway. When entering the name of a stock for your fake dividend, you can either type the symbol, then press tab, or you can type the first part of the name as you saw it in that Update Prices window, then press tab. the rest of the investment name will fill in. You may get window asking if you want to undelete. You choose to do so at this point.

Then go to the Details for that security. Delete the symbol. That may be enough to get it off of that list. If so, you can stop now.

If that security stays on the list, go to the Investment Activities for that security, and delete each transaction that is in a Watch account, starting with the oldest. If you have real transactions, you may not want to actually "Delete" the investment.

Take notes as you go, and tell us what you learn.

Saturday, April 27, 2019 4:58 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. I've tried the things suggested with no luck. The tickers in question don't show up in any portfolio view.
    Friday, May 17, 2019 3:49 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. I've done as suggested but the securities still don't show. They don't seem to be associated with any account, including a watch account. Creating a fake transaction and deleting the ticker symbol hasn't removed from the list in the updates window.
    Friday, May 17, 2019 3:59 PM
  • I appreciate that you are using Money Sunset ~ the procedure outlined below (to remove an investment name from the 'Update Prices' list) works for an older version of Money (2000 International English) and you may find it provides clues that will help you resolve your problem with Sunset.

You want to modify a closed investment (all shares sold) so
    that it will not appear in lists.

First make sure the 'account' is not closed (ie unclose it).

Second make sure there is a checkmark (tick) on:
    Portfolio -> See a Different View -> Show Closed Positions.

Find the investment that you don't want to appear in lists,
    (lower 'feint case' line, not 'bold face' line) 
    and right-click, choose: Account Details.

In the drop down box, choose: Delete. (This word is greyed out if account is not sold out)

Accept the 'Are you sure' prompt; this action:
    Does remove the name from drop-down lists but does not actually delete any transactions.

Then un-check  Portfolio -> See a Different View -> Show Closed Positions.

Then 'close' the 'account'.

Lastly, set to 'watch'; this ensures the investment does not show in 'Monthly Reports'. 

Good luck.

Teabag

Saturday, May 18, 2019 5:05 PM
  • Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but in Money Sunset,

- go to Portfolio Manager and in the column headed "CommonTasks"

- select "Update Prices">"Pick Quotes to Download...."

This will give a list of investments and you can un-check any that don't want to have downloaded.  There is also a link in that window to un-check all investments that you no longer own or are not on your watch list.  Then, when you use a program like Gaier's MSMoney Quotes to download prices, only the checked investments will be downloaded.

On the other hand, if you are asking about the dropdown list of investments that appears when you choose to update quotes manually, I don't think that you can edit that list.  In my case, I just changed the name of each undesired investment by adding a "z" in front of the name.  So, for example, MSFT is renamed to zMSFT.  That puts all the closed position investments at the end of the list where they are much less troublesome.

Bill Becker

Saturday, May 18, 2019 9:26 PM
  •    Solved! In my version, Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe version 17.0.120.3817, The unwanted tickers were removed in Portfolio Manager, Work With Investments (left pane), Delete an investment from all accounts (at bottom of the drop down menu). There were no transactions associated with these tickers and several weren't listed in any account, watch, closed or otherwise. I'm doing a happy dance. :-)

Friday, October 4, 2019 8:24 PM