none
USB Hard Drive umounting RRS feed

• Question

• Ok I have a different setup than what most people would use. I have WHS on a notebook with WSUS installed. Now i do not use the console to access this instead using a normal local login. The reason for this is I often do PC fix ups that involve home visits to people who only have dialup (rural area so ADSL etc is not available at all) so updating their PCs with WSUS is the best way, rather than trying to download large OS patches over such slow internet connections.
    I also carry with me a 60gb usb 2.5" hard drive in an external USB enclosure to carry some of the larger applications and files that may be needed for this work. This drive is plugged in to clients machines to do the installs, but at home I plug it in to the notebook so I can put the files on the USB HDD.
    The problem I have is WHS will not allow unmounting of the drive, giving the "volume in use try again later" message.
    I have made sure all windows are closed and there is nothing that I can see accessing the drive.
    So is there any way to fix this issue?

Sunday, October 28, 2007 1:10 AM

All replies

• I can confirm that I can't eject a USB drive once it's connected to either of my WHS machines. But is it a hardship to simply shut down your laptop, then disconnect the drive?

Question: why are you using Windows Home Server rather than Windows Server 2003, which would seem more appropriate for what you're doing?
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:04 PM
  • This is an interesting usage.  Remembering discussions about the licensing restrictions, this looks within bounds.  I was wondering whether the O.P. was using the WHS to do backups of client systems?  It would do that more efficiently than standard WIndows Server 2003.

I'd not thought of WSUS on a laptop as a substitute for some cumulative patch methodology--but it sounds like it works!

Sunday, October 28, 2007 7:13 PM
  • Didn't even think of licencing restrictions when I installed it Stick out tongue
    As for why not the full server 2003? First up cost. WHS is a lot cheaper in Australia than S2003. Also I do not need all the domain stuff that S2003 comes with for this setup.

As for why I am doing it at all?
    Well I use the notebook to update peoples desktops through WSUS. I was using the "reg hack" to run WSUS 2.0 on XP Pro which my notebook came with, but wanted to change to WSUS 3.0, mostly to see what it is like I suppose.
    I do the windows updates in the customers homes and the majority of people in my area either cannot get broadband of any sort or are on the stupid 256k 200Mb and 400Mb plans sold by the major Aus ISP. These plans charge $0.15 a megabyte for excess useage. As a result of this a lot of PCs I have to work on have not been updated in a long time so using WSUS is a fast and effective way of doing it.
    I use the usb hard drives to store backups of customers data before doing anything major and so sometimes have to swap drives in and out. Constantly rebooting can become a pain so being able to eject the drive would certainly make things easier.
    If it cannot be done, it cannot be done I suppose.

Plus of course the inevitable "to see if it can be done" reason.

The only real issue I had with the install was getting video drivers working properly, but that was fixed by using one of the ATI mobility modder tools to allow me to install "proper" ATI drivers for the notebooks Mobility 9700 GPU.

As far as WSUS 3.0 goes, on the whole I like it but it does seem to be more of a ram hog than WSUS 2.0.

So there you go, my reasoning (however faulty) for using WHS on a notebook.
    :-)

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 12:54 PM