product key RRS feed

• Question

• A laptop computer was purchased for me by the Trustee Board of the the church I pastor.  I keep putting in the product key number, which was on the computer, but it will not allow me access to the Office applications.  Help???

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 10:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello ccczar,

The product key affixed to your laptop is for your Windows operating system, not the Office Suite.  You will need to purchase the Office Suite separately if you would like to use that software.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 11:05 PM
  •  

Are you saying that though Office is on the computer, I can only use it temporarily until it is purchased?  It was not a part of deal when the computer was purchased?
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 11:12 PM
  •  

I accidently deleted your response.  My situation:  My trustees purchased a computer for me.  I now understand that the product code on my computer is for the operating system only.  However, with my Microsoft Office, which is on the computer, I don't have access to it.  Why?  What do I need to do? It allows only a certain number of days to use it, until I'm locked out of it.  Please help.
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 11:22 PM
  • Hello ccczar,

Typically computer manufacturers will bundle trial software with their machines such as Office, AOL etc in an attempt to get the user to buy the software which it sounds like this is the case here.  If you paid for the full copy of Office with the laptop then I would suggest you contact the vendor from whom you purchased this system from to find out why you were not given the full copy of the Office Suite.  Otherwise you will need to visit a software vendor to purchase the Office Suite if you would like to use it beyond the trial period.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 11:27 PM
  • I found your response again.  I guess I didn't delete it. 

Matt, even though I have the Office Suite on my computer, it is only on a temporary basis?

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 11:29 PM
  • How to determine whether you have a trial edition of a 2007 Office suite or program installed:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927920/en-us

How to convert a trial version of a 2007 Office suite or program to a full retail perpetual license version:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927756/en-us

How to buy the 2007 Microsoft Office suites:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/FX101678741033.aspx?ofcresset=1

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 11:35 PM
  • Hello,

Yes that is correct, unless it was purchased with the laptop then you only have a trial version of the Office Suite.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 11:36 PM