media hardware requirements RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I'm thinking about using my old computer to become my home server. It's not too old, has a 6400 core 2, 2 gb ram, and 650 GB of hard drives. I'd buy a new case and micro ATX board in consideration of space.  As I understand this should be fine for a home server. 

My question is related to media.  I don't understand if the processing of video would be done on the server or on the extender (mine is an xbox 360).  Is the graphic processor important on the home server if I want to be able to watch HD movies for example.  I have a GeForce 7600 GS I could use.  I also could use the onboard if it's better suited for media. For example G35 chipset (x3500). Or should I go with the cheapest motherboard around because 7600 is better or the whole question is irrelevant because the Xbox does the processing?

Thanks a lot,

Chris

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 7:59 PM

Answers

• Chris,

The Server only serves! The video on the server only need to be enough to install WHS, no more. In fact, the design of some WHS servers have no facility for video at all, no KVM connections, nothing. All your media processing is either done by the CPU - if you're transcoding on the fly, or by the Client computer.

Although many people have done the same as you, that is utilise old stuff to repurpose to a server, don't forget that this IS a server and is based on Server 2003, so any drivers you might need for your setup should really be 2003 versions.

Good luck with your setup.

Colin

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:18 PM

All replies

• Chris,

The Server only serves! The video on the server only need to be enough to install WHS, no more. In fact, the design of some WHS servers have no facility for video at all, no KVM connections, nothing. All your media processing is either done by the CPU - if you're transcoding on the fly, or by the Client computer.

Although many people have done the same as you, that is utilise old stuff to repurpose to a server, don't forget that this IS a server and is based on Server 2003, so any drivers you might need for your setup should really be 2003 versions.

Good luck with your setup.

Colin

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:18 PM
  •  

Colin,

Thanks a lot. I will make sure i have 2003 drivers and go cheap on the MB!

Chris

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:22 PM