registry cleaner RRS feed

• Question

• does onecare have or support a registry cleaner?
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:16 AM

Answers

•   No. Windows Live OneCare does not include a registry cleaner.
    There has been much discussion on this in the forums since the release of OneCare. Personally, I do not believe in the use of a Registry cleaner unless you are looking to resolve a specific issue and know exactly what the cleaner is going to fix. In most cases, a registry cleaner does nothing useful or it causes more problems than it can possibly fix, especially when used indiscriminately.

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:50 PM

All replies

•   No. Windows Live OneCare does not include a registry cleaner.
    There has been much discussion on this in the forums since the release of OneCare. Personally, I do not believe in the use of a Registry cleaner unless you are looking to resolve a specific issue and know exactly what the cleaner is going to fix. In most cases, a registry cleaner does nothing useful or it causes more problems than it can possibly fix, especially when used indiscriminately.

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:50 PM
  • Stephen,

I recently removed Symantec Corporate Anti-Virus and installed AVG Anti-Virus.  In that process I re-installed AVG.  After that I get error msgs on my SBS 2003 Standard that 4 services did not start.  The key service (upon which the other 3 depend) is Intel PDS Service.  When I try to start it manually, I get error 1053 that essentially says the startup timed out.  After doing an Internet search, it appeared this was probably due to problems in the Registry.  I ran RegCure from ParetoLogic to scan the registry (but did not fix anything).  The scan reported there were numerous errors in the registry related to references that did not exist.  Many of these were related to Symantec and AVG.  ParetoLogic says the RegCure has not been tested with Windows SBS 2003 and provide no advice or assurances.

Since error 1053 is a timeout error, it would be reasonable to assume that searching through a registry with lots of faulty references might take too long.

Any thoughts on using a registry cleaner on SBS 2003 to eliminate entries that are no longer valid?
    Monday, June 29, 2009 9:16 PM
  • SeaDog60, I'm not a fan of letting registry cleaners loose on a system. However, to try to resolve a problem, they can help. I would scan again, select the option to backup the changes so that you can recover them in case something is worse after the repair, and then let it repair the registry. In the worst case, you will need to boot to safe mode and restore the backed up keys and then work through them more granularly.
    I would also suggest searching for a Registry Cleaner that is designed to work on Server instead of using a product not tested on it. On the other hand, you may want to seek advice on the SBS issue in the SBS or Server forums. Someone may be able to give you specific advice on how to solve the problem without resorting to a 3rd party "cleaner."

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, June 29, 2009 11:58 PM
  • does onecare have or support a registry cleaner?

I was told that if you have Vista, you do not need a registry cleaner. Your computer is protected already. I tried a few and then finally asked why they never did a complete scan. They said I don't need one. (I used to use one with XP, so naturally I thought I needed one with Vista. I've had no problems>
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:31 AM