Obtaining WHS Software Build RRS feed

• General discussion

• Why doesnt Microsoft sell and support the WHS Software by itself? I'm sure there are many DIY'ers that have their own hardware and want to install WHS but have to go through some third party to obtain the media.
    My guess is two reasons. 1. too costly for them to support and 2. Vendors of pre-built systems providing Microsoft with incentives not to sell and support it.
    Any comments?
    • Changed type Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:28 AM not really a "question", more a rant disguised as a question...
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 11:45 PM

All replies

• Why doesnt Microsoft sell and support the WHS Software by itself? I'm sure there are many DIY'ers that have their own hardware and want to install WHS but have to go through some third party to obtain the media.
    My guess is two reasons. 1. too costly for them to support and 2. Vendors of pre-built systems providing Microsoft with incentives not to sell and support it.
    Any comments?
    You can purchase a OEM/System Builder license from various online sites if you want to build your own (that's what I use).  As for support, by definition, when you purchase an OEM license, you are your own support.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 12:09 AM
  • Well they provide this forum and the community is very knowledgable about the product.  I don't see it being a big problem buying the software from a 3rd party vendor rather than directly from microsoft - perhaps I am missing something.

--
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 11:58 AM
  • The problem with some of the online vendors is you don't know what you're getting. I know its a matter of finding a reputable company but I've seen problems with activation keys, incorrect editions, etc. At least if it came directly from Microsoft I would know that it was a ligitimate release of the media. Some vendors add bloatware to the build etc.
    Yes, this forum is helpful but it's not the same as having a dedicated support team directly from Microsoft.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 5:54 PM
  • The problem with some of the online vendors is you don't know what you're getting. I know its a matter of finding a reputable company but I've seen problems with activation keys, incorrect editions, etc.

Try newegg.com.

At least if it came directly from Microsoft I would know that it was a ligitimate release of the media. Some vendors add bloatware to the build etc.

No, they don't.  Only manufacturers that sell pre-built servers (like HP) add their own apps.  When you get the System Builder license, you get only the MS code.

Yes, this forum is helpful but it's not the same as having a dedicated support team directly from Microsoft.
    But that's not how OEM products work (only retail licenses have that).
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 6:17 PM