Windows Home Server backup software RRS feed

• Question

• Any one using a software backing up to a external device? I see the for Windows Server 2003 that cost a bundle. I used the backup under system tools and I hear it's being discontinued because it's buggy. Thanks
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 7:45 PM

Answers

• You should not rely on NTBackup, even if you have only a single drive in your home server. NTBackup wasn't designed to be used with Windows Home Server, and Windows Home Server wasn't designed to work with NTBackup. Will it cause problems? Maybe, maybe not. It depends on when you run your backups, what other processes are running, what Windows Home Server itself is doing, etc.

In addition, if you rely on it now, you will probably continue to rely on it when you add disks to your server. And it will not work correctly in that scenario.

The recommended method of backing up your server is:
    • Back up your shares by manually copying them to external storage. When PP1 is released, use the tools it contains.
    • Back up your backup database if required by following the instructions in the Home Computer Backup technical brief.
    • There is no supported way to back up your system partition. If you use Windows Home Server as intended, restoring it is fairly painless. All you will need to do is reinstall any add-ins, recreate users, and re-join computers.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:56 AM

All replies

•  Winditout wrote:
    Any one using a software backing up to a external device? I see the for Windows Server 2003 that cost a bundle. I used the backup under system tools and I hear it's being discontinued because it's buggy. Thanks

If you are referring to using NTBACKUP on WHS, it is a known fact that it does not work (and I doubt it ever will due to the way WHS works).

You can use a program like RoboCopy or SyncToy to backup the data on your network shares to an external drive (and Power Pack 1 will have that feature included).  You can also backup the client PC backups by manually stopping a couple services and copying the files over (check the Technical Brief for details).

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 7:57 PM
  • As kariya21 has said, NTBackup and most similar tools won't work with Windows Home Server because of the way Drive Extender manages files. You can copy the files in your shares to an external drive fairly easily using any of a number of tools (I use robocopy).

As for backing up the home computer backup database, you should read the Home Computer Backup technical brief in addition to the one kariya21 linked to. Wink
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 9:44 PM
  • I am not using the drive extender cause of the problems. I just want to have a backup unattended. How about this program? http://www.backup4all.com/
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 9:57 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    As kariya21 has said, NTBackup and most similar tools won't work with Windows Home Server because of the way Drive Extender manages files. You can copy the files in your shares to an external drive fairly easily using any of a number of tools (I use robocopy).

As for backing up the home computer backup database, you should read the Home Computer Backup technical brief in addition to the one kariya21 linked to.

Oops!  I guess I shouldn't rely on my memory as to which document contains which information... Wink

Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:07 AM
  •  Winditout wrote:
    I am not using the drive extender cause of the problems. I just want to have a backup unattended. How about this program? http://www.backup4all.com/

The only way you can be sure DE is not being used is if you only have 1 hard drive in your system.  If that's the case, I think (although I won't swear to it) it might work (since, to the best of my knowledge, tombstones don't exist in that setup).  However, you will forever be limited to a single drive WHS system if you go that route.  Once you add a second drive, DE will be used (data corruption or not).  At that point, backup programs like NTBACKUP won't work.  You can always try a backup, then restore it to a new drive and see what happens...

Are you only using one hard drive in your system?

Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:14 AM
  • Yes I only am using one 500 gig hard drive. Will ntbackup do the job if I only use one drive? Or is there still problems with one hard drive using ntbackup? Thanks for the replys.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:38 AM
  • You should not rely on NTBackup, even if you have only a single drive in your home server. NTBackup wasn't designed to be used with Windows Home Server, and Windows Home Server wasn't designed to work with NTBackup. Will it cause problems? Maybe, maybe not. It depends on when you run your backups, what other processes are running, what Windows Home Server itself is doing, etc.

In addition, if you rely on it now, you will probably continue to rely on it when you add disks to your server. And it will not work correctly in that scenario.

The recommended method of backing up your server is:
    • Back up your shares by manually copying them to external storage. When PP1 is released, use the tools it contains.
    • Back up your backup database if required by following the instructions in the Home Computer Backup technical brief.
    • There is no supported way to back up your system partition. If you use Windows Home Server as intended, restoring it is fairly painless. All you will need to do is reinstall any add-ins, recreate users, and re-join computers.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:56 AM

• The recommended method of backing up your server is:

Ken: thanks for all the content and information you have provided.  has your solution or approach for this changed since you posted this note?   Is there a better way to deal with this with a single drive system?
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:25 PM
  • Ray,

Ken's notes still apply apart from the fact that there is now an Add-In which can be used to take a copy of your Backups on another drive.

Just an aside, don't worry about it, but it's not a great idea to open a thread maked as 'answered' to ask another question, it's probably better to start your own thread as some forum members could well miss it.

HTH,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:36 PM