Share inaccessible RRS feed

• Question

• My server's been a tad unresponsive today and tonight it seems to be refusing me access to a few particular shared folders. The folders account for about 600Gb out of 1.5Tb, and other files seem to be accesible. In task manager, one core of my dual core server is constantly at 100% but there's nothing outwardly strange in the processes tab. Could this be a scheduled activity? I've never noticed it in the four months I've had the server.

I've been trying to back it up for about an hour now (started the backup after I noticed problems) and it's stuck on the same file it started with (A file which is about 1Gb). I'm beginning to dread that a hard drive has failed, yet everything looks fine from the WHS console.
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 5:29 PM

Answers

• After about 48 hours of intermittent working, the CPU load seems to have stabilised and the shares are accessable again. Thanks for your help Kariya.
    Monday, December 8, 2008 9:04 AM

All replies

• Echilon said:

My server's been a tad unresponsive today and tonight it seems to be refusing me access to a few particular shared folders. The folders account for about 600Gb out of 1.5Tb, and other files seem to be accesible. In task manager, one core of my dual core server is constantly at 100% but there's nothing outwardly strange in the processes tab. Could this be a scheduled activity? I've never noticed it in the four months I've had the server.

I've been trying to back it up for about an hour now (started the backup after I noticed problems) and it's stuck on the same file it started with (A file which is about 1Gb). I'm beginning to dread that a hard drive has failed, yet everything looks fine from the WHS console.

First thing I would try is to cancel the backup, then run chkdsk /r on all of the drives in the server.
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 5:42 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, but no bad sectors were found and I still can't backup. :(
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 9:02 PM
  • Echilon said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but no bad sectors were found and I still can't backup. :(

What add-ins/apps do you have installed?  What process is causing one of your cores to run constantly at 100%?
    Monday, December 8, 2008 12:19 AM
  • After about 48 hours of intermittent working, the CPU load seems to have stabilised and the shares are accessable again. Thanks for your help Kariya.
    Monday, December 8, 2008 9:04 AM
  • Had you recently installed something on your server? An add-in? Software installed through remote desktop? Moved a very large amount of data to the server?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 4:07 PM