Redundant System Disk RRS feed

• Question

• I have had WHS running for several years now and I love it so far. The system backup option with PP1 certainly fixes a huge issue with the initial release but I still am concered about being able to EASILY recover from a failure of the system disk.

I'm thinking of a solution that would hardware mirror the system disk onto two drives, perhaps using 16GB flash SSDs. My question is: is it possible to have WHS not store ANY end user data on the system drives? I know you have that option to control drive allocation with non-system disks. I simply don't see a way to do this for the system disk.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Baldy
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 5:34 PM

Answers

• There are ways to create a WHS computer with the system drive (C: ) on one physical drive, and the primary data partition (D: ) on another. They are all unsupported and require a fairly deep understanding of how Windows Setup works. If you were to use one of them you would potentially wind up with a server that could no longer be recovered using Server Reinstallation, and possibly even one that you couldn't then upgrade with new software updates.

So no, you won't be able to do what you are asking about.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, November 6, 2008 12:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Baldy56 Friday, November 7, 2008 2:24 PM
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:35 PM

All replies

• No, I don't think so. WHS will always use the data on the system disk as drive D, however in Powerpack 1, it should be the last drive filled if there is space on other drives.
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 7:33 PM
  • Hi,

Although it's unsupported, and can lead to further problems, you could possibly use a Raid array to duplicate the system drive. However, WHS will not install on anything less than 80GB, so using 16GB SSD's just won't work I'm afraid.

Doing a server Re-Install is no big deal usually; I think I must have done a dozen or more by now, with no problems whatsoever. The only 'gotcha' is the time it takes to rebuild all it's pointers if you have a large amount of data.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 9:19 PM
  • There are ways to create a WHS computer with the system drive (C: ) on one physical drive, and the primary data partition (D: ) on another. They are all unsupported and require a fairly deep understanding of how Windows Setup works. If you were to use one of them you would potentially wind up with a server that could no longer be recovered using Server Reinstallation, and possibly even one that you couldn't then upgrade with new software updates.

So no, you won't be able to do what you are asking about.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, November 6, 2008 12:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Baldy56 Friday, November 7, 2008 2:24 PM
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:35 PM
  • Thanks for the comments and answers. I was afraid that was going to be the response.

I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed!
    Friday, November 7, 2008 2:25 PM