Data drive failed, removed. Still trouble: conflicts, backups, hang RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I have a homebuilt WHS Server.

I recently added an additional hard drive, and after a couple days, the drive failed. I added a replacement drive and removed the failing drive. I was able to reconnect the failing drive via the server's USB port (with one of those SATA/USB bridge thingies), and was able to run the "remove" wizard on the failing drive. The were some corrupt areas, and I had to run chkdsk to get the wizard to work.

Since then, I'm still having some problems:

1. I get a series of file conflict messages.
    2. The backup service won't start. The event log contains an error about "device is not connected" and a path to commit.dat. If I try to open that file in notepad, I get the same "device is not connected" message.
    3. After 10-15 minutes, the server seems to partially hang. The console hangs, and if I'm remote desktop-ed in, the file explorer hangs, but any running Apps continue to run -- For example, if I have the Task Manager open, it merrily shows CPU load (low, <10%) and I can switch tabs to see network traffic, etc.) When hung, clients can't reach the server's shares and the WHS tray icon indicates "not connected."

Can anyone provide any insight or help on this?

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:48 PM

All replies

• Hi. I have a homebuilt WHS Server.

I recently added an additional hard drive, and after a couple days, the drive failed. I added a replacement drive and removed the failing drive. I was able to reconnect the failing drive via the server's USB port (with one of those SATA/USB bridge thingies), and was able to run the "remove" wizard on the failing drive. The were some corrupt areas, and I had to run chkdsk to get the wizard to work.

Since then, I'm still having some problems:

1. I get a series of file conflict messages.
    2. The backup service won't start. The event log contains an error about "device is not connected" and a path to commit.dat. If I try to open that file in notepad, I get the same "device is not connected" message.
    3. After 10-15 minutes, the server seems to partially hang. The console hangs, and if I'm remote desktop-ed in, the file explorer hangs, but any running Apps continue to run -- For example, if I have the Task Manager open, it merrily shows CPU load (low, <10%) and I can switch tabs to see network traffic, etc.) When hung, clients can't reach the server's shares and the WHS tray icon indicates "not connected."

Can anyone provide any insight or help on this?

Thanks,
    Andrew
    You might try running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server.  See the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:29 AM