Trust Issue Adding WinXP Pro X32 Box RRS feed

• Question

• Ref: Windows Home server Connector Fails to install on WinXP SP3

Hi!

I am starting a new discussion on this subject. I have read and tried all the suggestions in the above and other threads and none has worked. The issue appears far from resolved.

System: Dual boot Win7-64 Pro and XP-32 SP3.

Problem: Cannot complete installation of WHS 2011 Connector software.

Details: From client computer (XP32), download Connector Software for Windows from WHS 2011 server.

Installation proceeds until I get the following inane error (tried to upload pic, but NG):

Cannot connect this computer to the network

This computer is unable to establish a trust relationship with the server. Verify that the

computer's date and time are accurate and try again.

Computer date and time are correct, so message is MS crazy BS.

On WHS Server Dashboard (Computers and Backup Tab), XP computer is listed with status as 'offline'.

At the same time, WHS Explorer shows the XP computer under Network and I can view shared folders (ie,

the server knows that the XP box is online).

As I said, I tried all the suggestions from the previous thread. Problem still exists. Any/all help appreciated!

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

Saturday, June 30, 2012 4:34 AM

All replies

• Hi tyrone3a, I consider you may have gone through the solutions in the following threads, right?

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/whs2011/thread/a0e462b8-7471-4bcc-b329-f0a3f959555e

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whs2011/thread/71708425-bdbb-44c7-a280-ec3f7b51ca03

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver2011essentials/thread/90b907e8-6936-4140-b927-6d1ee14ef05c/

You can also paste the log file here so that we can help to have a check, thanks.

Windows Server Solutions Log Collector Tool

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27567

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 2, 2012 7:42 AM
  • Hi! Sean,

Thanks for the reply. I have read the threads you suggested and about 20 others. I think the only thing I have not tried is renaming the Machine Keys folder to *.old. Changing permissions and adding tspkg & credssp.dll to registry keys did not work. I also tried removing and reinstalling (as well as letting the connector software install) .NET Framework 4. Manually adding the CA certificate from WHS2011 to the XP client did not work either (ie, certificate is there, but still receiver error when trying to install connector software).  It goes without saying that the date and time on client and server are in sync and correct.

I am certainly willing to post the log file here for you to check. Do you want me to install the Collector Tool on the WHS box only or on all the network computers?

For info, both the Win7 Pro and XP Pro installations are recent, clean installs. Partitions are NTFS. Win7 Pro is 64-bit; XP Pro is 32-bit.

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 3:26 AM
  • As you checked date and time, did you also check, if the time zone is set identical? If the server has another one than the client, the time may vary by hours, even if it is optically the same.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 6:11 AM
  • I am certainly willing to post the log file here for you to check. Do you want me to install the Collector Tool on the WHS box only or on all the network computers?

For info, both the Win7 Pro and XP Pro installations are recent, clean installs. Partitions are NTFS. Win7 Pro is 64-bit; XP Pro is 32-bit.

You can install it on the client computer which encounters the installation issue.

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 9:02 AM
  • Hi! Olaf,

Thanks for the suggestion. Time, Time Zone and Date are identical on both machines.

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

Sunday, July 8, 2012 3:38 AM
  • Hi! Sean,

I have a theory as to what is going on. Perhaps you can test/confirm.

System is a dual boot (Win 7 & WinXP) box. It contains one HD with two (2) partitions. Win 7's BCD controls the booting. It also allows both partitions to be seen, regardless of which OS is booted. (Most other MBR software hides the partition not being booted.) Connector software installs without a problem on the Win 7 partition. Because the XP partition is visible, when a backup is run from Win 7 the XP partition is included as part of the backup (along with the MBR, the BCD and the Win 7 partition). Because the XP partition is already backed up, I think the BCD is keeping the connector software from installing and/or the server from recognizing that the XP system is online. It seems odd, but that is all I can come up with.

Since the XP partition is backed up as part of the Win 7 backup, I don't need the connector software to install on the XP system. Thus, the problem goes away on its own. Still would like to understand what happened, however (if possible). Knowledge is always good.

Given the above, do you still want me to post the log file?

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

Sunday, July 8, 2012 3:54 AM
  • Hi,

security software on the client blocking communication to the server or name resolution issues in the network (DNS, delivering a wrong address due to auto attached DNS suffix) come into mind.

Also there is an Microsoft FixIt for Connector installation issues on Windows XP. Although it is not made for that described symptom, did you try that anyway?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, July 9, 2012 9:14 AM