Failed Microsoft update - what to do? RRS feed

• Question

• I run WIndows Home Server. Just found out that the fix for KB951748 failed to install with automatic updates from through Microsoft Update.

I can't see exactly how I'm supposed to try and reinstall the fix, if I run Microsoft Update again, it does not offer the fix for download or install again.

What exactly am I supposed to do in this instance?

If I look in the Add/Remove programs in Control Panel, I do however see the fix in the list of installed fixes. I'm not sure if it will appear under more than one component. I did look at what would happen if I click "Remove", but I get a warning that other users are logged on and that the fix may not unistall if that is  the case.

Thanks

Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:58 PM

Answers

• I run WIndows Home Server. Just found out that the fix for KB951748 failed to install with automatic updates from through Microsoft Update.

FYI, using Microsoft Update is unsupported.  You should use the WHS Console to install updates.

I can't see exactly how I'm supposed to try and reinstall the fix, if I run Microsoft Update again, it does not offer the fix for download or install again.

If I look in the Add/Remove programs in Control Panel, I do however see the fix in the list of installed fixes. I'm not sure if it will appear under more than one component. I did look at what would happen if I click "Remove", but I get a warning that other users are logged on and that the fix may not unistall if that is  the case.

Thanks
    That's really all you can do (uninstall the update, reboot the server, then run the updates again).  As for the warning, make sure all of the other networked devices in your LAN are turned off (not standby, not sleep, etc) except for your server and the one client you're using to do this.  Once that's done, reboot your client (just to make sure all of its connections to the server have been severed).  Then, once your client boots up, use RDC to logon to the server desktop and try uninstalling the update at that point.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:33 PM

All replies

FYI, using Microsoft Update is unsupported.  You should use the WHS Console to install updates.

Thanks
    That's really all you can do (uninstall the update, reboot the server, then run the updates again).  As for the warning, make sure all of the other networked devices in your LAN are turned off (not standby, not sleep, etc) except for your server and the one client you're using to do this.  Once that's done, reboot your client (just to make sure all of its connections to the server have been severed).  Then, once your client boots up, use RDC to logon to the server desktop and try uninstalling the update at that point.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:33 PM
  • I know how/where to do updates through the WHS Console, but there is no indication there whatsoever whether updates are successful or not. How should I do that?
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 10:49 PM