Onecare firewall Settings cannot be changed RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am running Vista Business Edition. I have Onecare installed on my laptop, and have a subscription. I installed it on my desktop after my CA virus protection license ended (I removed CA completely before installing OneCare).

When I try to turn on the Firewall, the dialogue I get is "OneCare can't change your firewall settings at this time". I have tried every publicly available remedy: I uninstalled and re-installed MSXML 4.0; I tried the repair tool; I unistalled and reinstalled the programme (several times); I phoned the support line and was assured the repair tool would do the trick (it still didn't); I ran the programme after a selective start up; I checked the Path...

Can anyone help? It works perfectly on my laptop, and I have similar software installed on both machines.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 2:45 PM

Answers

• Stephen I fixed the Live One Care firewall problem tonight on my Vista Home Premium computer.  Here is how:

I was having an issue installing Fedex software and the error message said that my Event Log is full to manually empty it.

I could not figure out why Services showed the Event log not started and it would not start.  So I had to troubleshoot that first and apparently it's fairly common.  I went to the forum on that and found out I had to reset the rights to a system32 log file.  Apparently turning off UAC plus making yourself an administrator with all rights can cause this issue.  The \system32 directory needs to be at default of no permissions or rights. From that forum:

"I believe this problem is because we changed the permission of a folder incorrectly, the RtBackup folder which is under C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup .

I solved the problem by rebooting the system-->safe mode--> go to RtBackup folder ---> reset the permission to defaut-->fixed"

After that, the event viewer would load from Admin Tools.  On the left all the programs I had problems with were listed and I chose them all one by one and on the right "clear log" to empty it.

Not only did this fix the Fedex software so it loaded flawlessly, but it also fixed my Live One Care firewall issue and my Media Player's failure to download the guide (another lengthy forum issue at another place)

The consensus on that forum is that Microsoft needs to include a tool that will clear the event log more or less like clearing cache or removing temp files.

Hope this helps someone.  It sure made my system much better.

Friday, March 7, 2008 4:07 AM

All replies

• Try running the cleanup tool after uninstalling One Care - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

If the firewall still does not function properly after reinstalling One Care please contact support again.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 3:49 PM
  • Sorry - I should have mentioned I already used the clean up tool when uninstalling Onecare. It made no difference.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 3:56 PM
  • Support is not helping at all. I was hoping I could get something quicker on the forums. Here is the erro message I get in the log:

Firewall policy update for policy 'WinSSFW', version '1.2.0.112' failed. Error Code = '8A150106'

This error is generated each time I try to start the firewall. Oddly, when I Google this error I find some results - but when I attempt to vist the pages they have been removed!

Thursday, January 3, 2008 4:44 PM
  • Have you tried the firewall repair tool from the top of this forum?

This one may be a long shot, but see if this tool helps - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?linkid=87330

If support isn't getting it solved for you, ask for the problem to be escalated.

-steve

Thursday, January 3, 2008 6:20 PM
  • Hello Highfield,

Thanks for your patience so far, it sounds like you've tried a lot of things many times in hopes of getting everything working. I have a couple questions that might help narrow down the issue:

1) Has the OneCare firewall ever been successfully running on the machine? (There might be some sort of third-party firewall software lurking on the machine that is causing a conflict, or some other sort of issue)

2) Is this the only error you see in the logs? What about the event viewer? (I can give instructions on how to view these, or you can run the OneCareSupport tool to gather logs)

3) Have you tried repairing WMI and/or MSXML on the machine? (I can give instructions on that as well)

Thanks again for your patience, and I hope we can find a resolution for you,

-John

Friday, January 4, 2008 12:12 AM
  •  

Thanks for trying to help out. I am out of the office today, so will not be able to look at this again until the weekend.

Steve - the tool you reference is to repair virus and spyware funcionality. I don't have a problem with that aspect - in fact OC picked up 3 viruses that CA missed, and fixed them. I am kind of reluctant to interfere with something that works, but I appreciate the thought.

John - in answer to your questions:

1) The firewall has never successfully run on my desktop. It works well on my laptop, and did so on first installation. Both machines are running Vista Business Edition. The only difference is that I did a clean Vista install on my laptop, and an XP upgrade on my desktop.

2) I'll check again, but I think this was the only error. Symantec was originally installed on the machine when it was running XP. I removed it and installed CA because at the time Symantec did not support Vista. There are some legacy registry entries for Symantec that uninstall did not remove, and some Symantec files running when I run MSconfig, but I disabled these in a selective boot before reinstalling OC, so they shouldn't have an effect. I am using a wireless router with a built in firewall - but my laptop works fine with it, so my desktop shouldn't be any different.

3) I already tried uninstalling MSXML 4.0 and reinstalling from the download centre. It had no effect. I haven't tried repairing WMI - how would I go about that, please?

I am persevering with this because I like the product better than alternatives. As I have said, it works well on my laptop.

- Highfield

Friday, January 4, 2008 8:21 AM
  • Hello, Highfield. I understand the reluctance to use that tool and I did say it was a long shot. The tool resets the internal database for definitions and other settings, so it might clean out something that is corrupted. It flushes the database and you then immediately download the complete latest signature file to refresh the database.

I agree with you that the router's firewall is not a factor.

You might want to consider the Symantec cleanup tool - 

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

as it may remove errant bits of Norton/Symantec products that could interfere. Note that you may have to reinstall OneCare after using this tool.

I don't think that WMI repair would be the ticket, but this post explains how to reset that - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2469173&SiteID=2

-steve

Saturday, January 5, 2008 2:44 AM
  • I have tried all remedies now. I have:

Repaired WMI

Run the Symantec cleanup tool

Uninstalled OC

Run the OC cleanup tool

Reinstalled OC

Run the firewall repair tool

Run the virus repair tool which resulted in errors in the log. cacls "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Onecare Live\Database" /T /C /E /G Paul:F
      error code = 8023

Still I am unable to start the firewall...

Monday, January 7, 2008 7:54 AM
  • Well, thanks for trying all of this and being persistent. I do recommend you reach back out to support, but let me see if I can get someone from the OneCare team to have a look.

-steve

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 12:59 AM
  • Can you create a support log zip file per these instructions - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2512403&SiteID=2

And send the resulting zip file to wloc@live.com with a link to this thread in the message body? In your case, ignore the "vacation reply" you'll get from that address. The OneCare firewall Program Manager will have a look at the logs.

-steve

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 2:06 AM
  • Thanks Stephen. I sent the issue to support today as you suggested.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:50 PM
  • Thanks... Fingers crossed.

-steve

Thursday, January 10, 2008 7:30 PM
  • Highfield, the OneCare team has asked if you have tried using this tool to see if it will help:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2468376&SiteID=2

Please let us know if that solves it or not.

-steve

Saturday, January 12, 2008 2:41 AM
  • See my first post and my post 6. Yes - I have run and re-run the firewall repair tool, after fresh installs and after using the cleanup tool. It still won't work.

I didn't get a reply to my email to support.

Strangely I had a follow up email from support on my lodged telephone support issue. I replied to it, referencing this thread, but I haven't heard back from them either - that was several days ago now.

Highfield

Monday, January 14, 2008 6:58 AM
  • This problem is becoming very irritating. Maybe I should give up and download Mcafee.. anything but Symantec. That red 'at risk' warning is taunting me every time I use my PC!

To make matters worse, I tried making my laptop the hub, and now the status is 'at risk' there too, because of my desktop!

Monday, January 14, 2008 5:59 PM
  • Thanks. I'll let the OneCare team know. I thought that you had tried the tool, but I've been reading so many posts lately....(!)

The wloc email address isn't support, it's an email address I set up for use by the OneCare team to investigate specific issues. (Setting up this address was much easier than getting Microsoft to set up a special alias and design a process to monitor the mail going to it!)

Unless you've been asked to submit something to that address, you may not get a reply. The request in my last post to try the tool was in response to the email you sent with your logs

-steve

Monday, January 14, 2008 6:24 PM
  • My circumstances are a little different. I am running XP Home on my desktop and have had OC installed for a couple of months, no problem.  Even now, system boots to a "green" state, but changes to "red" after a few minutes.  When I open the app, OC shows that the Firewall is turned off and I can't change the setting.  If I click on "turn on" OC just grinds away until I get a "Not Responding" note in the app banner.  I tried the "cleanup" app and that seemed to work at first, but all it actually did is increase the amount of time it took for the red icon to show up.

I am not inclined to start uninstalling and re-installing apps.  I don't have any other virus/malware/spyware/firewall app installed, that I know of. 

Monday, January 14, 2008 10:16 PM
  •  fdigirolomo wrote:

My circumstances are a little different. I am running XP Home on my desktop and have had OC installed for a couple of months, no problem.  Even now, system boots to a "green" state, but changes to "red" after a few minutes.  When I open the app, OC shows that the Firewall is turned off and I can't change the setting.  If I click on "turn on" OC just grinds away until I get a "Not Responding" note in the app banner.  I tried the "cleanup" app and that seemed to work at first, but all it actually did is increase the amount of time it took for the red icon to show up.

I am not inclined to start uninstalling and re-installing apps.  I don't have any other virus/malware/spyware/firewall app installed, that I know of. 

Did you try this tool? http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2468376&SiteID=2

If that doesn't resolve it, please contact support. 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:23 AM
  • I seen to be in the same boot as the original individual in this thread.  I have search the internet and the Microsoft site inorder to retify this frustrating problem.  It ran fine during the trial period and shortly after I bought the One care subscription my firewall refused to load.  Yes I have tried it all, uninstalling msmxml4 and msmxml3 and then reinstalling, I have tried unstalling ONECare and everything named onecare whatever and the running the clean tool, numerous times in a row, I believe as many a 10 at one point because some support person told me it sometimes took multiple passes inorder to handle all of the problems.  Whatever that means. 

I run the Firewall repair tool as many as 20 times in a row, because a support person told me you need to run it multiple times to be effective.  Nothing happened.  I have tried doing everything in a sequence uninstall everything, msmsl3 and 4, but I can uninstall the msmxl4 updates, since they are un-uninstallable (how do you like that word), according to the documentation. The Uninstalling everything Onecare listed in the Programs and Features, Uninstall or change a problem.  Then I have run the Cleantool, again multiple times. 

I have then reinstalled everything in order, msmxl3 then 4 then Onecare and all the other things that go with it.  and still one firewall.

Now I have temporarily installed the Windows Firewall, at least I hope it's temporarily, but now it's beng shut off by something which I can't trace. 

Yeah I can log the message

Firewall policy update for policy 'WinSSFW', version '1.2.0.118' failed. Error Code = '8A150106'

but nothing seems to be looged for the Windows Firewall Shut off.  I turn it back on and everything is fine for a while and then wow it goes off and I have to turn it back on.  Thanks heavens the malware still works and I have a firewall on my router.

The thing is I have written to supoort and they are useless, telling me to redo the same things I have already done.  I had it escalated, using the support line, but the so called expert know even less than I did.

To be honest I DON"T THINK MICROSOFT KNOWS HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM.  

NO I HAVE NOT LOADED ANY NEW SOFTWARE. the only new things loaded on ths computer were done by MIcrosoft.  The website loaded silverlight and the updates and that;s it.  I tried to upload Silverlight, but the silverlight.msi file is no where to be found on my system.  So I can't remove it.

What Can I do, and who do I need to escalate this problem to to get his firewall working again the way it used to work once upon a time in a far distant past when it seemed things were so much simpler and easer to do, and the MS support people knew what they were talking about and if they didn't they would escalate a problem quickly instead of referring you to a URL which I had alread been to and tried. 

I need some real TECHNICAL HELP, not some pretend technician, sitting in front of a computer running an AI problem with all the tech solutions to ONE CARE, I want some one who has worked with the software and can really answer a question.  Some one like MS used to have on the phone many many years ago, like when I was a project managere for Merrill Lynch back in the late 80's and early 90's and there were real knowledge people with hands on experience.

PLease it there any one at MICROSOFT WHO CAN actually give me a solution to my neverending problem.

Sincerely

David

PS this is now going on for  close to 3 months.  HELP, HELP, HELP, HELP, i really am drowning in this mess of a one care firewall and need real honest to god help.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 12:45 AM
  • Can you post your case ID here, David? I'll see if I can get it looked at for you.

-steve

Thursday, February 21, 2008 1:44 AM
  • I'm having the same problem with my desktop with Vista Ultimate.

Friday, February 22, 2008 1:32 AM
  •  

I am having the same problem with a Latitude D430 running WinXP SP2. The laptop has been running WOC successfully for a week, and is now at risk because the firewall is turned off. I have tried all the suggested solutions (repair tool, uninstall, clean up, reinstall, repair tool etc) and the problem is still there.

Following this thread, there would appear to be a major problem which MS are not addressing. I have been recommending WOC as a solution instead of McAfee IS and Norton 360, but do not feel able to anymore. Can someone escalate this and get a solution, or MS will start to lose customers and revenue.

Friday, February 22, 2008 12:08 PM
  •  Gary Gem wrote:
    I'm having the same problem with my desktop with Vista Ultimate.

Please contact support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Friday, February 22, 2008 3:02 PM
  •  LaurenceCook wrote:

I am having the same problem with a Latitude D430 running WinXP SP2. The laptop has been running WOC successfully for a week, and is now at risk because the firewall is turned off. I have tried all the suggested solutions (repair tool, uninstall, clean up, reinstall, repair tool etc) and the problem is still there.

Following this thread, there would appear to be a major problem which MS are not addressing. I have been recommending WOC as a solution instead of McAfee IS and Norton 360, but do not feel able to anymore. Can someone escalate this and get a solution, or MS will start to lose customers and revenue.

The best thing to do is to contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Ask for the problem to be escalated. Unfortunately, nobody who has encountered the problem has returned to advise the solution. I will send the link to this thread to the Firewall Program Manager today, but your best avenue for help is through support if the Firewall tool and even a reinstall has not resolved it.

-steve

Friday, February 22, 2008 3:04 PM
  • I have been receiving the latest comments in this thread, and am returning to say that my issue has still not been resolved, despite a grest deal of time and patience.  Frankly I have given up, but I thought that since Steve needed some update from people who earlier experienced the problem I would reply!

Moreover, it seems that Onecare disables the regular Windows Firewall from time to time leaving me completely unprotected! I am not sure what initiates this - I manually turn it on, but find later that is has been switched off.

Regards, Highfield

Monday, February 25, 2008 9:36 AM
  •  

I have resolved this issue, but am not confident that it will be a permanent solution as I am losing faith in WOC. I tried, once more, the uninstall, clean up and reinstall and this time it worked. WOC + firewall have been running now for two days, but for how long will it continue to run?

There is obviously a problem with WOC firewall, and MS support are not resolving it. This does not give customers the confidence they need to use the product without a degree of paranoia, as you constantly need to be on the alert for the problem re-occurring. As this product is suppoed to give peace of mind, this is not a good situation to be in!

Monday, February 25, 2008 10:37 AM
  • Thank you, Highfield and LaurenceCook, for letting us know the status. I'll see if I can get the Firewall Program Manager to have a look at this thread.

-steve

Monday, February 25, 2008 1:26 PM
  • Highfield, I was recently having this exact same issue.  The OC firewall was working on my machine, then "suddenly" stopped working.  I tried all the suggested fixes listed in this thread and still nothing.  It wasn't until I thought about some recent changes I had made to my system (disabled a bunch of the event trace sessions to descrease disk io) that things started adding up.  Needless to say, I re-enabled the event traces I turned off and the firewall started working again. 

Hope this helps ya Highfield as I too was becoming very bothered by the little red warning in my tasktray. 

I'm not sure which event traces they are but maybe some of the Microsoft people on this thread could shed some light on it.

Good luck, Greg.

Monday, March 3, 2008 5:03 AM
  • Stephen I fixed the Live One Care firewall problem tonight on my Vista Home Premium computer.  Here is how:

I was having an issue installing Fedex software and the error message said that my Event Log is full to manually empty it.

I could not figure out why Services showed the Event log not started and it would not start.  So I had to troubleshoot that first and apparently it's fairly common.  I went to the forum on that and found out I had to reset the rights to a system32 log file.  Apparently turning off UAC plus making yourself an administrator with all rights can cause this issue.  The \system32 directory needs to be at default of no permissions or rights. From that forum:

"I believe this problem is because we changed the permission of a folder incorrectly, the RtBackup folder which is under C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup .

I solved the problem by rebooting the system-->safe mode--> go to RtBackup folder ---> reset the permission to defaut-->fixed"

After that, the event viewer would load from Admin Tools.  On the left all the programs I had problems with were listed and I chose them all one by one and on the right "clear log" to empty it.

Not only did this fix the Fedex software so it loaded flawlessly, but it also fixed my Live One Care firewall issue and my Media Player's failure to download the guide (another lengthy forum issue at another place)

The consensus on that forum is that Microsoft needs to include a tool that will clear the event log more or less like clearing cache or removing temp files.

Hope this helps someone.  It sure made my system much better.

Friday, March 7, 2008 4:07 AM
  • Thanks for these details, justmenan.

-steve

Friday, March 7, 2008 10:26 PM
  • Highfield, does justmenan's information help your case?

-steve

Friday, March 7, 2008 10:27 PM
  • Halleluah!

Justmenan's solution worked! Thanks everyone - my firewall is no up and running just in time for my subscription renewal!

Regards, Highfield

Monday, March 10, 2008 9:48 AM
  • I have just read the solution, and don't understand it. We don't have WMI in LogFiles folder, but will bear this in mind if the problem re-occurs. WOC firewall is still running on my wife's PC so fingers crossed.

Monday, March 10, 2008 10:44 AM
  • Hi, I have the same problem at the moment, and I would like to know, how do I set the permissions to default?? 
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 4:54 AM
  • Hi, I have the same problem at the moment, and I would like to know, how do I set the permissions to default?? 

If everything within this thread did not help, your best bet is to contact support as it may not be a simple permissions issue.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

I am curious - when did your problem begin and was something installed or changed on your system before it began?
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 5:14 PM

If everything within this thread did not help, your best bet is to contact support as it may not be a simple permissions issue.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

I am curious - when did your problem begin and was something installed or changed on your system before it began?
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    I want to try the answer that justmenan gave, but before I go any further, I would like to know how do I reset the permissions in the folder as he stated below

"I believe this problem is because we changed the permission of a folder incorrectly, the RtBackup folder which is under C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup .

around the time that my firewall stopped working, I think took control of the System32 folder as a whole and I believe that was the source of the problem, but it was so long ago, that I can't just revert back to the restore point I made. 

Sunday, July 5, 2009 7:42 PM
  • Right click on the folder and select properties. Then select Sharing and advanced sharing.

Details on how this can be done here:
    In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419
    In Vista - http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/25/how-to-take-ownership-and-grant-permissions-in-windows-vista/

-steve
    Monday, July 6, 2009 3:13 PM
  • Right click on the folder and select properties. Then select Sharing and advanced sharing.

Details on how this can be done here:
    In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419
    In Vista - http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/25/how-to-take-ownership-and-grant-permissions-in-windows-vista/

-steve
    I've went through the steps, and i'm not sure if that resets the permissions to the original state of which the computer came in. Any tips on how to do that? I believe that when I changed the permissions, that was the source of my problem.

EDIT:

I deleted the RtBackup folder, restarted and my Event Log and Firewall are back to working again! :D
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 3:39 AM
  • I've went through the steps, and i'm not sure if that resets the permissions to the original state of which the computer came in. Any tips on how to do that? I believe that when I changed the permissions, that was the source of my problem.

EDIT:

I deleted the RtBackup folder, restarted and my Event Log and Firewall are back to working again! :D
    Glad to read that it has been resolved for you.
    -steve

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:02 PM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you for solving this problem that has been niggling me on every laptop on which I have installed OneCare!  I uninstalled and reinstalled OC several times to no avail.  I tried every fix recommended by Microsoft and other forums.

I did not connect the problem with the fact that I took ownership of my entire C drive, due to Vista not allowing access to certain folders I needed to access.

After removing my rights from RtBackup, my problem was solved.

Why doesn't MS know about this?
    Friday, August 28, 2009 8:28 AM