WHS PP3 Installation Issue RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have custom built WHS(PP3 6.0.2423.0). I noticed that 'Automated Updates Notification' keeps on notifying me that there are new updates available and when I click on the balloon to check what's available, it's always PP3. I installed it so many times, but it still keep on showing this same message every time. I am guessing it's not getting installed completely for some reason.

I double checked my installed version in the Setttings-->Resources area and it is 6.0.2423.0

I posted about another question last week, which may be linked to this problem. Here is the link to my previous question.
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/5263ff5b-3e62-48f6-b9b5-5299baec5ba2

Is anybody have any issues similar to me? Can anybody help me?

Thanks
    rb

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:00 PM

Answers

• I've seen this happen when Windows Search 3 wasnt removed fully and still had an entry in Add/Remove Programs. Removing that allowed PP3 to install (again) via Windows Update and it never prompted again.
    • Marked as answer by rbanga Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:51 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:50 PM

All replies

• I've seen this happen when Windows Search 3 wasnt removed fully and still had an entry in Add/Remove Programs. Removing that allowed PP3 to install (again) via Windows Update and it never prompted again.
    • Marked as answer by rbanga Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:51 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:50 PM
  • Good point. That's why windows search on WHS is not working either. These may be related issues. I will remove Windows Search via Add/Remove Programs tonight and install PP3 again. I will post about my findings tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply.
    rb

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:02 PM
  • This worked !!! 
    I uninstalled Windows Search via Add/Remove Programs and installed PP3 again. It solved both the issues - no more PP3 update prompts and Console View from Media Center started working again. Earlier Windows Search was broken. This fixed it too.

Thanks
    rb
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:51 AM
  • Nigel:
    Thank You - your suggestion Fixed the inablity to successfully instal PP3 on 4 WHS that I support -
    THANK YOU - THANK YOU

Monday, December 21, 2009 10:42 PM
  • hello,
    although i have exact the same symptoms here, unfortunately there is no item which shows "windows search 3". so i deainstalled windows search 4 and let windows update run.
    after rebooting the same errors (which recur every minute!) appear in eventlog.
    any other ideas?
    TIA, LX.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 8:30 AM