Purchasing a EX 485 This Week RRS feed

• Question

• I am going to purchase one this week. Are there significant performance levels in the new "48" models over the "47" models?  What are your opinions? What about music streaming?  Is this done easily over the internet to a remote machine?  How is it accomplished?

I have a 470 machine and it can now stream my music using the new addin Fireplay.

Jerry
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 3:32 AM

Answers

• Yes, there are significant improvements. The processor is faster, and there's more memory. The only thing that isn't an improvement, IMO, is that the eSATA port no longer supports a port multiplier.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 3:28 PM
  • No and (probably) no. For the first, drag and drop is king. For the second, you are mainly limited by other bottlenecks in the system. Processor speed and memory contribute very little to basic file share operations.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 7:52 PM

All replies

• Yes, there are significant improvements. The processor is faster, and there's more memory. The only thing that isn't an improvement, IMO, is that the eSATA port no longer supports a port multiplier.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 3:28 PM
  • I assume with all the advances of the server there's not been a way created to move all your data from one system to another (like from a 47 to a 48 model?

Also I guess the 48 will "serve up" files faster (internet conditions pending) to the requestor than the 47 models?

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 7:28 PM
  • No and (probably) no. For the first, drag and drop is king. For the second, you are mainly limited by other bottlenecks in the system. Processor speed and memory contribute very little to basic file share operations.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 7:52 PM