Great Mind Challenge by IBM Vs Imagine Cup by Microsoft RRS feed

• General discussion

• The Great Mind Challenge 2007(www.tgmc.in)   Vs. Imagine Cup 2007(www.imaginecup.com)

Well friends as we know the two IT Suuuuper Powers  IBM and Microsoft

Had adopted different ways of Initiatives for best Talent's Hunt from the common people

having not only degree's but something that is actually called INTELLIGENCE with IMAGINATION,

I would just like to know what's your opinion about them?

Who is the winner from your point of view?

Whose methodologies is superior?

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 7:11 PM

All replies

• According to me, Microsoft is the clear winner

but

there are certain things about IBM that makes it really Unique

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 7:13 PM
  • ya you right, but microsoft is not giving placement fr the project winners , they will give only prizes ... Mee too like to work with microsoft than ibm , but i recommend ibm ..... but as you say microsoft is the sure winner !!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 11:43 AM
  • These "superpowers" have been in this business for countless years, and both have had tremendous success in their own respective places. Although both are running their talent searchs, we can't decide who's methodology is better than the others, because these are things which depend on each person's point of view. So if you want mine, so i think Microsoft scores over IBM!!!

Go Microsoft!!!....

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:05 PM
  • I am taking part in both the Imagine Cup and Great mind Challenge. Although, IBM is offering an oppurtunity for placements to the winners, i think Microsoft still wins hands down. The problem with TGMC is that they want the students to use IBM middleware like Tivoli, DB2, etc.

The problem is for students with no past experience in these middleware, because IBM is not providing resources, webcasts, or video tutorials in using them. On the other hand, Microsoft is full of resources, both for experienced developers and students. So people using MS technologies have a steep learning curve.

In the last edition of TGMC, i remember a lot of my friends were extremely frustated in just setting up the development environment with the tools required. Yet, the contest attracted a very large participation last time. Maybe this is because, most students know Java related technologies compared to MS technologies like .net

All in all, both contests have thier advantages and disadvantages, but the fact remains that these contests encouraging students showcasing thier skills, and that a fact we should all appreciate.

P.S sorry for the long post.....

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 2:37 PM
  • Me too participating in both of them and i do agree on the point that IBM lack on training part.

Secondly no problem at all for  a longer post because you did gave a thought thats why u wrote so.

By the way, which project have you selected in TGMC and do you have prior knowledge on IBM's resources?

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:57 PM
  • I do agree that Microsoft is not giving placements, but is it all about placement?

If we forget about what we are getting as  prize in both the events, Whom would you consider as a winner?

Being an Engineering Graduate i feel winner in TGMC is superior than a Student Rockstar, compared to what We deliver at these two platforms, irrespective of the awards we recieve.

As far as  Imagine Cup is concerned, its simply The Best.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:06 PM
  • @Sanjeev,

I am working on a University Library Automation System. Nothing too great, as i am not an expert in Java and have very lil knowledge in JSP, Serlvets.

I think we should not compare TGMC with Student Rockstar, rather with Academic Project Program. Clearly theres no winner. Both offer platforms for student well-versed in different technologies. Since i am comfortable with MS technologies, i prefer the latter.

I agree that its not about placements, nor about the certificates.

Its about knowledge. Having a IBM / MS certificate will be great in your resume. But if you cant justify it, then how will it help you.

Thus training and knowledge base is the most crucial thing for a student while participating in a contest, where he /she gets to explore new technologies.

This is the point, i feel that gives MS an upper hand. Only if TGMC provided better learning oppurtunites before they immerse students in thier powerful middleware.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 11:30 AM
  •  

Hi I have selected STUDENT SURVEY 2007 as my project in GMC ... Is anyone taking the same proj ??
    Thursday, September 20, 2007 11:36 AM
  • No one in my knowledge had opted for the project in my knowledge.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 5:57 PM
  • TGMC is Right Choice for Engineers.........
    Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:47 PM
  • Good luck with your project Mohan.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 8:41 PM
  • @ Adnan  ,

You cant say that IBM is not providing the proper learning resources ... Two weeks later i have attended a WORKSHOP for the Db2 /.. that was awesome , i learned a lot there ... They doing it lively , unlike Microsoft only providing papers and webcasts .... So i think IBM leads in learning Resource !!

Friday, September 21, 2007 2:22 AM
  • I prefer microsoft's imagine cup.

The reason is IBM is not full-pledged in conducting these programs. They just entered last year and also their valuation is not based on apt points.

I think it takes time for them to reach microsoft.

Friday, September 21, 2007 6:53 AM
  • @Mohan,

I am happy to know that you learned a lot on DB2. Please share with us what you learned.

We had attended the workshop last year. But the workshop was not up to the mark. Glad to know that things are improving.

Friday, September 21, 2007 8:01 AM
  • Thats really great that you have attended the workshop but Friend I havent,
    And i just said what felt like,  without attending any Workshop.
    I would definitely like to learn, know what you gained there.

Friday, September 21, 2007 10:45 AM
  • Can aneone help me regarding TGMC ??

Friday, September 21, 2007 11:06 AM
  • @Sameer,

How can we assist you?

Friday, September 21, 2007 12:37 PM
  • Definitely i would also like to learn from Mohan, wud be glad if ready to help.
    Friday, September 21, 2007 12:48 PM

• Sure Microsofts's Rockstar and Imaginecup are best...
    Friday, September 21, 2007 12:54 PM
  • @ Praveen
    No comments on TGMC???
    Friday, September 21, 2007 12:57 PM
  • Yes guys I would like to share my experience on Workshop for TGMC ...

Its dated on last week of august ... The topic is IBM Community Edition and DB2-WSAD-WAS ........

As i know WAS earlier .. i attended only the Db2 ... actually the ws is for two days ...

during intro he told more than 60,000 people in india are participating in that contest .... They told me wat the Db2 is ?? I dont know even abcd in Db2 ... The infos are very usefull ... The only main thing i inspired is , they told how to integrate thing while doing the prj .... then they gave us some Cds for our mentor ... i thought of attendning the 2nd day .. but wasnt done ... You will become a Begineer from a newbie when you attend the seminars and workshops !!

Regards

Mohan Smile

Friday, September 21, 2007 4:47 PM
  • Thats really great ,

And nice of you to respond back in a positive manner

Well i just wanted to know smthing:

i was facing problems in connecting Eclipse ane WAS

Plugins were not available for #.# version,

Can you please help at it? 

Saturday, September 22, 2007 9:42 PM
  • Many of us including me experienced the same problem. The solution lies in having products with specific version, that are compatible with each other.

For Eclipse to work with WAS and DB2, i recommend you to get Eclipse 3.2.2 all in one from http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/eclipse/downloads/callisto/?S_TACT=105AGX44&S_CMP=EUROPA .

To install the Eclipse WTP server adapter for Application Server:
    1. Select Help > Software Updates > Find and Install ... from the Eclipse
    menu.

2. In the Install/Update wizard, select Search for new features to install
    and click Next.

3. Click the New Remote Site button on the top right, and enter the Name
    of Eclipse WTP server adapter for WAS CE 1.1, and set the Url to
    http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/websphere/wasce/updates/.

4. Click Finish and let the update manager download and install the
    adapter.

Also i suggest you to get the v9.1 for DB2. I hope this solves your problem. Good luck with the contest and happy coding!

Sunday, September 23, 2007 9:21 AM
  • I also attended the workshop ... won a couple of goodies(caps and keychains .... nothing much Big Smile !) too for answering simple Q (just an advt. stunt on their part ... ) ..... A Sunday well spent must say ........
    Sunday, September 23, 2007 6:05 PM
  • That is good.. I too had a option of taking a part in the IBM contest, but the contest demands time, which i cannot give rite now.. so i had refused my sir to take part in it... Also in IC, there are small contest, which dont need much time, so I can go for it... also being in the MS technology, i.e. .NET, its very useful for me in the future, though IBM products are very good.. I am not planning to go for that technology in future... That is the reason why i didnt go for it.. but i will surely learn those technology also when i have time, but for the time being its no IBM........
    Monday, September 24, 2007 4:27 AM
  • What my Experience with these two is...

I worked for TGMC06 and i selected as one of the top 20 projects among the india.....

this time i am working with the imagine...

In the pleasure i got from these two is microsoft is the best....when coming to Ibm's the way of working with IBM is very serious......we may gett bore after some days...but while working with microsoft every day it is like a new world with good and thrilling experinces.........

Monday, September 24, 2007 7:06 AM
  • ya I agree ...... IBM is too strict kinda .......
    Monday, September 24, 2007 7:51 PM
  • TGMC is more towards technical side. It requires more of programming experience whereas Students Rockstar contest requires basic programming skills. I'm also participating in both the events and found both equally challenging. In Students Rockstar there is time limit challenge whereas in TGMC we have to face a real live  project and its complexities. Because of my industrial programming experience (in java) I found TGMC a bit easier and intersting.

I agree with other's about the restrictions placed by IBM on softwares use, but I' am sure that if we try hard we can get through it...... rem "Where there's a will, there's a way"

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 3:25 PM
  • Very true indeed,
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:51 PM
  • Very Important Notice for all TGMC participants,

Synopsis can be submitted even after 15 october but with loss of 5 bonus points.

But till when is not decided so hurry if u havent submitted synopsis.
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:54 PM
  • ofcaurse it's Microsoft..
    Friday, October 19, 2007 9:38 AM
  • according to me TGMC and IC both are some what equal both r great .... as both are run by 2 great companys ...
    firstly let me show u all some

see the web site of TGMC
    >   they provide the tools for developing the softwares
    >   they r unique
    >   they work with very good softwares , etc.
    >   the help students to learn more

now IC
    >   they too provied the tools for developing the softwares
    >   they  r unique
    >   they work with very good softwares
    >   the help students to learn more

only the difference is the TGMC provide job as prize
    and IC win just points <remember this is a topic on Great Mind Challenge by IBM Vs Imagine Cup by Microsoft>
    Wednesday, October 31, 2007 1:59 PM
  • go to www.tgmc.in and register
    actually registeration has closed
    there are many softwares they r provideing ....

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 2:02 PM
  • This is incorrect on your part to say that IBM provide no resources, webcasts or tutorials. In fact I have used the tutorials  and they are very easy and straightforward.

As for the argument that you have to use IBM Middleware. It's pretty obvious, doesn't Microsoft recommend you to use Microsoft middleware, SDK's, Tools.

Because, working in .NET requires does not require any of them.

The freedom is there to work without Microsoft tools, but eventually you cannot work better without them. Let' s face it, though .NET is open in sense it's regularized by ECMA , but it's dependence on Microsoft is pretty much heavy.

See these two competitions are entirely different. TGMC is binding in a way that most of time you finish projects recommended by them. In Imagine Cup, there is no such condition. Second, the platform of Imagine Cup is very big and it's worldwide. The TGMC is pretty much for India.

I know it because my college mates have won IBM open software contest two times.

In imagine cup also many have gone far ahead. But , definitely.......Imagine Cup is a bigger platform for showing up your creativity and innovativeness.
    Friday, November 2, 2007 9:40 PM
  • microsoft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday, November 3, 2007 1:19 AM
  •  

its microsoft

microsoft is the king of legends in IT

Sunday, November 4, 2007 10:03 AM
  • In these Talent Hunt programmes from the various Superpowers in the field of IT, I believe that the participants are the clear winners as they get exposure to different technologies at the early & crucial stages of their lives
    Sunday, November 4, 2007 11:03 AM
  • I found Imagine cup to be the best of the others both the GMC by IBM and Student Rockstar by Microsoft

Imagine cup gives us a greater vareity of compeditions and better rewards and also is more competitive than the others

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 9:03 PM
  • Somewhere imagine cup does take a lead over great mind challenge (not saying this coz v r right nw participating in MS contest) but IC is quite and byy far very huge as compared to great mind challenge.I mean the way the contest is held, the type of grandness it has, all this makes IC a step ahead.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 8:17 PM