Why the short limits on recording or import times? RRS feed

• Question

• On a Lumia 525 (with an empty 64GB card), the recording and import both seem to be limited to a few minutes (240 seconds I believe). Why does that limit exist? It seems that there's no persistent in-memory state that's needed as the processing seems to only focus on the current frames. So why can't it just record and place the resulting 4x file onto the SD card?

Having a timelapse of only a few minutes doesn't really provide practical uses; without being able to record for hours (or process a long-length video), this app is a fantastic and fun demonstration of technology wizardry, but no more.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 8:35 PM

Answers

• The recording/importing time limits are based on the phone's RAM, not its storage.  I believe the 525 has 1GB and the 1020 2GB.

Low memory phones have shorter recording limits that high memory phones. These may be adjusted in future releases, but it is a limitation of the current product.

• Marked as answer by Howard Good Thursday, August 6, 2015 9:00 PM
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 9:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,  my 1020 records up to 20mins and then it stops.

haven't been able to work how the limits are determined.

my feedback anyway

Saturday, July 25, 2015 5:57 AM
  • The recording/importing time limits are based on the phone's RAM, not its storage.  I believe the 525 has 1GB and the 1020 2GB.

Low memory phones have shorter recording limits that high memory phones. These may be adjusted in future releases, but it is a limitation of the current product.

• Marked as answer by Howard Good Thursday, August 6, 2015 9:00 PM
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 9:00 PM