Server for NIS - Windows 2003 R2 vs. Windows 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy folks,

I was wondering where the best place would be to ask a question about Windows Server 2008 R2's "Server for NIS" feature.  Here's my question....

As far as I can tell, my Windows 2008 R2 AD domain controller is refusing portmap requests on port 111 (Sun RPC) by sending a response packet with an invalid Header checksum.  According to a Wireshark trace on the domain controller, the domain controller receives the packet from the Solaris NIS client, and then sends a response with an incorrect header checksum.  The header checksum is 0x0000 instead of the expected value (0x4373, for that particular packet).

What's weird is that I tried the same, or similar, settings on a Windows 2003 R2 AD domain controller (IDMU + Server for NIS + Password Sync) and got it to work without a whole lot of grief.  I could do "ypcat.exe passwd" and get the same output from my Solaris client.  But when I try to configure the Solaris client for the Windows 2008 R2 domain controller, I can't even get ypwhich to work...ypcat hangs indefinitely:
    # Tue Mar 16 09:50:49 root@x4200-03a ~
    # ypwhich
    Domain oz2 not bound on x4200-03a.

This seems to generically mean I can't connect to the server.  For some reason, the Windows 2008 R2 DC appears to be rejecting these packets, and I can't figure out why.  Given my luck, I'd imagine there's some minor step that I neglected to perform.  I did confirm that ypcat.exe passwd gives me expected results on this DC...but after a couple days of scouring the Internet for answers, I can't for the life of me get my Solaris client to speak RPC to this DC.

Can someone help me?
    • Edited by Scott Osborn Tuesday, March 16, 2010 5:55 PM grammar
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:57 PM

Answers

All replies