none
Why does windows crash the bridge, linux has no issues (NTFS formatted drive)

Question

• ok i have a very strange problem,

Basiclly i thought i had a drive about to give up the ghost (its getting on in age as well)

Windows kept locking up the system when i was accessing files on this other drive (it was a storage drive, not system drive).

I would restart the PC, bios would hang and fail to detect the drive untill i fully dc'ed it, powered up the machine without it (just to bios then back off) and plug it back in working again, untill i started reading data from it again (Random time frames from each lock up, nothing consistant)

So, im thinking a dead drive. Now iv just started moving the files using linux (thought it was werth a try due to the diffrence in IO error handling) - the strange thing is, linux is not giving any IO errors and is reading the data perfectly.

So this is now making me wonder, is windows finding some curruption on the drive that in return is making it crash the sata bridge? due to the fact windows was locking up, at very best 5 mins into reading data consistantly, iv been now reading data on linux for over 3 hours without any failts, not even a single read error.

can anyone give any light on why this is? after all, NTFS is microsofts....

im just wonding now, is this a dead drive or currupt that windows is not handling correcly, or in the best manner?

i will format this drive once i get all the data from it and see how it then performs in windows 10 again (had the lock up on both 8.1 and 10, 10 being a fresh build not an update)

anyone got some ideas on this?

cheers

Phil

Thursday, September 10, 2015 10:38 PM

Answers

• by no means was the post ment as a win v lin post

sure, I didn't think so.

I'm starting to wonder if there is a bug that exists in the win ntfs proto that I randomly come across

NTFS has been around for a long time and has been pretty rock solid. Didn't mean to hijack thread, I'd still ask where Karl suggests.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, September 11, 2015 2:09 AM
  • Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Thursday, September 10, 2015 10:53 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Thursday, September 10, 2015 10:53 PM
  • Sounds like hardware failure. Windows would not do that.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, September 11, 2015 12:46 AM
  • hi Dave,

normally I would agree, that's exactly what I was thinking. by no means was the post ment as a win v lin post, because I have my own pref on that, as for a coding platform (mainly ide) I will always go win.

what I'm starting to wonder if there is a bug that exists in the win ntfs proto that I randomly come across - ill be able to tell after I zero it and then test it again in windows. Once zeroed ill reformat (in ntfs again) and see how windows does, if windows deals with it ill then attept to fill the drive to make sure its not just a bad sec of the drive. if that gos ok then that leads to an unknown bug in the proto reader

Friday, September 11, 2015 1:55 AM
  • by no means was the post ment as a win v lin post

sure, I didn't think so.

I'm starting to wonder if there is a bug that exists in the win ntfs proto that I randomly come across

NTFS has been around for a long time and has been pretty rock solid. Didn't mean to hijack thread, I'd still ask where Karl suggests.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, September 11, 2015 2:09 AM