HELP!! RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have updated to 2.0.  The computer made me delete the 1.5 version.  Did that.  Entered the new version.  It never asked me for my product key, and now it tells me the program is expired.  How do I renew without paying for a new one.  I have a new one, with a new product key, it just wont ask me for it!!
    Friday, February 1, 2008 7:54 PM

Answers

• When you activate a reinstall with the same LiveID and already have a subscription, it inherits that subscription no matter that you used the CD. There was no need to uninstall, you just needed to renew with the key from your new retail CD.

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare.

Alternatively, uninstall OneCare again and reinstall. When you activate with that LiveID this time, it will see the expired subscription and will require a key or payment to proceed.

-steve

Saturday, February 2, 2008 2:35 AM

All replies

• When you activate a reinstall with the same LiveID and already have a subscription, it inherits that subscription no matter that you used the CD. There was no need to uninstall, you just needed to renew with the key from your new retail CD.

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare.

Alternatively, uninstall OneCare again and reinstall. When you activate with that LiveID this time, it will see the expired subscription and will require a key or payment to proceed.

-steve

Saturday, February 2, 2008 2:35 AM
  •  

Okay, thanks so much.  Got this one to work, now having issues with laptop.  It keeps telling me it is only partially installed.  It will not allow the program to download have had multiple errors come up.  Done what they say, to no avail.  It is saying that we ahve another firewall.  Which we do, windows security or microsoft security???  It came with VISTA.  We have turned the firewall off, just like on the home PC, and it will not work, any suggestions??
    Saturday, February 2, 2008 2:25 PM
  • You should not have to turn off the Windows firewall to install OneCare. If it is reporting another firewall, perhaps something else was installed on the PC and you are not using it, but it is still there, such as Norton or McAfee.

You can contact support to get help in identifying if this is the case.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 1:45 AM