FileSync Provider Failed RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using SyncToy for a few months now, and the last time I ran my sync I got the error "Exception During Preview: The file Sync Provider Failed while detecting changes"

I have three folder pairs set to Echo out the contents of the folders on my machine to a backup drive.
    It does not matter if I am running XP or Vista the same error occurs. (32 bit)

Lee
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:50 PM

All replies

• Hi  -

Did you retry - normally we see this error when some temporary move/delete/rename of a directory happened and we are not sure that we are detecting changes correctly? Otherwise can you paste the message from the log and let us know how that looks?

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:53 AM
  • I got the same problem. Both systems are running Windoze 7. On one system x64 (left), on the other x86 (right, Plankton). If I start synctoy from the x86-system, it works properly. If I start it from the x64-system (surely the Synctoy x64-version!), I'll get the error.  Here's the log:

SYNC: 09/22/2010 18:22:49:948: Started scanning directory : H:\Documents\

SYNC: 09/22/2010 18:22:49:979: Started scanning directory : \\Plankton\d\Documents\

SYNC: 09/22/2010 18:22:50:791: Stopped scanning directory : H:\Documents\

SYNC: 09/22/2010 18:22:50:838: *** Exception during preview: {0} : 

System.ArgumentException: The FileSyncProvider failed while detecting changes.

Server stack trace: 

bei Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.Interop.FileSyncProviderClass.DetectChanges()

bei Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.FileSyncProvider.DetectChanges()

bei SyncToy.SyncEngine.DetectChangesOnProvider(FileSyncProvider syncProvider, String replicaRootPath)

bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)

bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 

bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)

bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)

bei SyncToy.SyncEngine.DetectChanges.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)

bei SyncToy.SyncEngine.Run(Boolean previewMode)

bei SyncToyUI.PreviewDialog.PreviewOnePair(SyncEngine she)

SYNC: 09/22/2010 18:22:50:838: *** Exception during preview: The FileSyncProvider failed while detecting changes.

Berlin, Germany
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:30 PM