Project Gatineau RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am a little confused.  We have been using DeepMetrix Livestats.xsp for web analysis on our internet and intranet sites for several years.

Since Microsoft purchased the company we have waited to see what will replace it.  I have just signed up for the Project Gatineau Beta but it seems to be all about AdCenter.

Can someone tell me in very few words whether the Project Gatineau is an application that I can run on our intranet and internet hosting service to give me the capability that Livestats.xsp gave me?

I work for a Govt Dept and am not in any way interested in Advertising campaigns, AdCenter (whatever that is), just plain old web statistics.

I sure hope I have not wasted our time waiting for something that is not an effective replacement for what we have lost.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 11:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Tongmaster

Thanks for posting your comments and questions.

Project Gatineau is closely related to adCenter – for example, adCenter customers will be able to use their existing account to access Project Gatineau if they choose to use the web analytics service.

But it also a full-fledged web analytics offering with a lot of great reports and tools for measuring your site traffic and understanding your visitors:

- Click and visitor tracking
     - Marketing campaign reporting
     - Conversion tracking
     - Demographic and geographic segmentation
     - Paid and natural search analysis
     - Visitor information including browsers, languages, operating systems and resolutions

You will need to create an adCenter account but you won’t need to buy any advertising – the account can be used for Gatineau only.

With the proper configuration, you should be able to utilize Gatineau in intranet solutions. That being said, it is a new and different product than XSP so there will be a lot of differences.

Since you are using XSP, I assume you want to host the web analytics service yourself – with Gatineau’s beta, this will not be possible but it is functionality we are considering.

I’m glad you signed up to be part of the beta – when the invitations go out, you’ll be able to see the system in motion. In the meantime, If you’d like to talk more about transitioning from XSP to Gatineau, send me an e-mail adceu(at)microsoft.com and I can put some of our Gatineau support guys in touch.

Hope this helps...

Regards

Mel

Monday, September 17, 2007 8:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Tongmaster

Thanks for posting your comments and questions.

Project Gatineau is closely related to adCenter – for example, adCenter customers will be able to use their existing account to access Project Gatineau if they choose to use the web analytics service.

But it also a full-fledged web analytics offering with a lot of great reports and tools for measuring your site traffic and understanding your visitors:

- Click and visitor tracking
     - Marketing campaign reporting
     - Conversion tracking
     - Demographic and geographic segmentation
     - Paid and natural search analysis
     - Visitor information including browsers, languages, operating systems and resolutions

You will need to create an adCenter account but you won’t need to buy any advertising – the account can be used for Gatineau only.

With the proper configuration, you should be able to utilize Gatineau in intranet solutions. That being said, it is a new and different product than XSP so there will be a lot of differences.

Since you are using XSP, I assume you want to host the web analytics service yourself – with Gatineau’s beta, this will not be possible but it is functionality we are considering.

I’m glad you signed up to be part of the beta – when the invitations go out, you’ll be able to see the system in motion. In the meantime, If you’d like to talk more about transitioning from XSP to Gatineau, send me an e-mail adceu(at)microsoft.com and I can put some of our Gatineau support guys in touch.

Hope this helps...

Regards

Mel

Monday, September 17, 2007 8:14 AM
  • Thank you very much Mel, a most helpful response.  I will check out the Beta and take it from there.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 8:54 PM
  • I feel exactly the same as Tongmaster. I am not at all sure, nor do I trust the direction Microsoft is leading Deep Metrix's loyal customers. Our company has been using DeepMetrix for a number of years as well and have to admit that we are very disappointed in what has happened to the company and its product.

It is a tradition of Microsoft to take something really good and turn it into something really bad really fast. They've had 2 years to come up with a replacement and to this date, all they have is a beta of some sort of advertising center. This is no different than their promissed "Long Horn" project which is overdue for release by how much time???

Neither I, nor my existing customers are willing to become Microsoft's Guineapigs. As a matter of fact, they should call this project code-named "Guineapig" instead of "Gatineau"!!! They can easily extend the concept to Vista as well.
    Friday, January 11, 2008 11:55 PM
  • I'm a long time LiveStats user too.   We use it on our intranet and our secured internet and I have a question about the new incarnation of the product.   If it's a hosted service does this mean that I'll have to send my IIS logs to Microsoft for processing?   Our security department certainly won't allow holes in the firewall for MS to come into our domain or into our DMZ’s  and read the logs. 

Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:14 PM
  •  

Hello everyone,

I see there are a lot of concerns around the lack of an installable version of Gatineau during the beta.  I’ll address Tango’s question real quick and see if we can reassure you about the current product.  So first to Tango’s question.

If it's a hosted service does this mean that I'll have to send my IIS logs to Microsoft for processing?

Gatineau does not need to read your local IIS logs to collect stats.  We actually use a Java script you add to each page you want tracked.  That sends a request to our servers, each time it is accessed.  Those requests contain all the information we need to know about the person surfing that page, to generate statistics about your web traffic.  It is of course a lot more complicated than that, but we do not need access to your IIS logs to do it.  If the web page has access to the internet, then Gatineau can track web statistics from it.

An example of a page Gatineau would not be able to track would be an intranet site with absolutely no link to the internet, either behind a firewall or physically cut off from the internet.  If it is just behind a firewall, you might be able to open a port for the java script to access outbound, but your Network admin should configure that for you, to ensure it is secure.

I can understand the frustration that the current Beta appears to just be focused on adCenter.  It is an early beta, and future releases will have a much richer feature set.  While the final product will likely integrate into adCenter, it is being designed as a standalone product.  In addition, we do not expect you to use any of the adCenter features to use Project Gatineau.  If you do not want to setup ads, you can ignore the rest of the tabs, and go straight to the Analytics tab.    However, we believe that adCenter is a very useful product for those interested in Pay Per click advertising, and that Project Gatineau will greatly enhance those user’s experience in tracking their campaigns and conversions. 

Finally, we have heard many requests for an installable version of the product.  I assure you, these requests are taken seriously.  While we won’t see an installable version during the beta, it has been discussed for future releases.  I can’t guarantee it will happen, but I know it is being talked about.

Feel free to run over to the Web Analytics forum, there are a few discussions there that might give you more information:

http://forums.microsoft.com/AdCenter/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1833&SiteID=44

Thanks!

Brian D.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 6:55 PM