upnp-problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I set up a clean install of "Windows Home Server". I try to use this instance as a streaming server. Therefore i turned on the "Media Library Sharing". If try to connect to my Home-Server via UPNP the browser opens up with a HTTP 404 - not found - error.

What's wrong here?

Best Regards

Ulf

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 2:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• This has been bugged on Connect. You should probably go there and validate the issue.
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:44 PM
  • I've noticed the bug entry on connect. There are more than one entries describing this behavior. I hoped that there is anybody who can tell me a workaround. Because there must be people out there not having this problem.

Ulf

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:57 PM
  • You shouldn't need to open the upnp connection in a browser.  If you have a UPnP capable device it should be able to consume any media shared by the Windows Media Connect hosted on the WHS machine.

If you're trying to treat it like the Slimserver web interface, Windows Media Connect isn't that advanced.  You'll need to control the stream from your UPnP device.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:00 PM
  • Ok. I understand. Is there a way to use this streaming folder from another pc with windows media player? I don't know how to oben these folders. And by the way ist it possible to connect with a windows mobile device?

Ulf

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:10 PM
  •  Ulf Hillig wrote:
    Ok. I understand. Is there a way to use this streaming folder from another pc with windows media player? I don't know how to oben these folders. And by the way ist it possible to connect with a windows mobile device?

I believe the answer to your question is "No" unfortunately. You can't use streaming from WHS to a computer running Windows Media Player. There is a long, involved discussion here about better integration of Media Center and WHS. I think it's the number one "want" of the user base here.
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:35 PM
  • Ken's correct.  WMP 11 isn't a UPnP consumer as far as I can tell.  Very dissapointing.  You'd think they would want to allow you to consume libraries from other PC's like you can in iTunes.

(off topic:) I've actually been looking for a generic UPnP media application and haven't found one that is actually stable.  If anyone knows of one, let me know. 

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 9:00 PM
  • WMP 11 is a UPnP consumer. Go to:

- Library->Media Sharing

and check the "Find media that others re sharing" checkbox and they will show up in the library as other collections down the left hand pane.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 9:19 PM
  •  tfieldho wrote:

Ken's correct. WMP 11 isn't a UPnP consumer as far as I can tell. Very dissapointing. You'd think they would want to allow you to consume libraries from other PC's like you can in iTunes.

(off topic:) I've actually been looking for a generic UPnP media application and haven't found one that is actually stable. If anyone knows of one, let me know.

It turns out to be more complex than that. If you look at the answer to the top question here, you'll see that WMP 11 Vista is capable of being a consumer of media streamed from WMP 11 Vista or XP. So I conclude that the Media Connect that is included with WHS is an earlier version that WMP just can't consume at all.

I'm okay with "WMP 11 XP can't consume streaming media from WHS" because it can't consume streaming media from WMP either. I'm really not okay with "WMP 11 Vista can't consume streaming media from WHS." That's just broken.

I see that there is a suggestion on Connect about this.
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 9:26 PM
  • Umm if you follow some directions about enabling sharing in WMP from above it should work. I have gotten it to work on WMP 10 on XP and WMP 11 on both XP and Vista.
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 12:10 AM
  • No, there is nothing there that tells one how to make WMP consume the streams available on the WHS. Sorry.

There is information there that tells one how to allow WMP 11 to consume media streamed from another computer running WMP 11, but the very first question makes it pretty clear that this doesn't work in every scenario. And WHS A) isn't running WMP 11, and B) shouldn't be running WMP 11, because it would have to do so interactively.
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 12:43 AM
  •  

WMP 11 is a UPnP consumer. Go to:

- Library->Media Sharing

and check the "Find media that others re sharing" checkbox and they will show up in the library as other collections down the left hand pane.

If you follow those directions and have sharing enabled from the Home Server Console on the Server it will work. Everything just needs to be enabled.

Thursday, March 1, 2007 12:51 AM
  •  Tom Ziegmann wrote:
     that others re sharing" checkbox and they will show up in the library as other collections down the left hand pane.
    I see no such checkbox on the media sharing dialog box.  Is it possible that's a Vista only feature?
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 1:04 AM
  • It would not have to run WMP11 interactively as WMP11 installs services for media sharing that always run. It's a pity WMP11 hasn't been released for Windows 2003.
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 1:13 AM
  • Try this:

Click the arrow below the Library tab, and then click Media Sharing.

and then try enabling WMP to find other devices.

Thursday, March 1, 2007 1:15 AM
  • Tom, WMP 11 on Windows XP doesn't have that option, only "Share my media". It's not a uPnP consumer. I don't have a machine with Vista, so I can't confirm that WMP 11 on Vista will consume media from WHS.
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 2:07 AM
  •  Richard Gregg wrote:
    It would not have to run WMP11 interactively as WMP11 installs services for media sharing that always run. It's a pity WMP11 hasn't been released for Windows 2003.

No, I'd say instead that it's a pity the WHS team didn't include the Media Connect technology from WMP 11. I don't really want a media player in a headless server appliance.

Of course, they probably had to choose a codebase for their streaming a long time before WMP 11 was released. Maybe if we're lucky, and beg really hard, they'll update to the current tech.
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 4:38 AM
  • Thanks for the confirmation, Ken.
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 6:15 PM
  • Can someone who has WMP 11 on Vista confirm whether WMP can consume other UPnP services such as Twonkyvision, Slimserver, Firefly, Nero MediaHome, etc?  Or does it just support Windows Media Connect?
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 6:20 PM
  • I've tried it out and can confirm that WM11 under Vista has the checkox to consume content from other streaming devices. I tried to access my WHS library from vista and I'm able to see the files in the library. But open a video is just a mess. It loads and loads and loads, but nothing happens. Loading a picture seems to work, but the Pictures are faulty.

Friday, March 2, 2007 9:03 AM
  • Ok. So I went back to the documentation and found these directions. Try these and let me know if they work.

Steps

Additional Information

On the Windows Home Server Console, click the Server Settings button.

None

Choose the Shared Folders settings.

You will see that you can turn on or turn off the media library sharing on a per shared folder basis for the Music, Photos and Videos folders.

Choose On to enable sharing for the Music and Photos folder

Access your music and photos by using Windows Media Player from any of your home computers.

Add \\SERVER\Music to your music library.

Optionally, access your music, photos, and videos from an Xbox 360 or other digital media player attached to your home network.

Play the music and watch a photo slideshow of your favorite photos.

Saturday, March 3, 2007 6:13 PM
  • I just confirmed that neither my xbox360 or my WMP 11 client on Vista can see the WMC library on my home server.

Saturday, March 3, 2007 7:47 PM
  • I have been able to see the music and photos (but no thumb preview) enabling the media search on WMP11 in VISTA.

But they don't show up on normal library, appear on a separated library, USER 1 on SERVER, don't know if it should be this way or not.

On MCE in vista nothing appears unless i indicate the \\server\music, etc shares !! But that way there is no point of using WMC system.

About videos!! No way, when they don't make WMP ou MCE to crash they just load load load load and nothing ever gets shown (happens to any type of video).

But hey so far it have been a very good discovery, this is still beta 2, probably on next release we will get better results.

Friday, March 9, 2007 4:23 PM
  • Speaking of ... can I run or has anyone tried running any of the UPnP services on WHS ?  This would solve my problems??

Sunday, March 11, 2007 4:45 PM
  • services like what?  What are you trying to do?  Windows Media Connect is installed by default and just needs to be enabled for specific types of content. 

I'm also running slimserver since it allows for remote control of the playlist through a web interface.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 5:11 AM
  • I went ahead and installed SwissCenter and tested it out.  Runs great.  Windows Media Connect worked but I wanted more functionality.  So far everything is up and running great.  I have tried a few other UPnP media servers before (Twonky, wizD, TVersity, LinkServer etc) and may try them as well just to see how well they run.

My LinkTheater picks up the Windows Media Connect and can browse and play some of the files but I have a lot of vobs along with the other media that is supported by WMC which is another reason I wanted to run SwissCenter.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:18 PM
  • You shouldn't have any problems as long as the UPnP application really is a "service" and doesn't require a user to be logged on to the console.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:49 PM