Purpose of Generic Handler in asp.net RRS feed

• Question

• use and function of Generic Function?
    • Moved by Cookie Luo Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:27 AM (From:Visual C# Language)
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:59 AM

Answers

• Hello

Handlers are used when you want to avoid the overhead of a regular asp.net page Practical examples include image processing or handling ajax requests.

Generally in ASP.NET we are used to working with .ASPX file most. ASPX file is heart of ASP.NET technology. Basically ASPX file represent HTML kind of representation which used to bind with ASPX.CS file which is largely known as code-behind file. When you run ASPX file, it compiles code-behind and display the results, but, have you ever thought that you could bypass code-behind file?

ASXH (HTTP Handler) is really very powerful but under utilized utility. Even if you search GOOGLE, you won’t find many examples. I tried to GOOGLE this topic and found mostly one example of retrieving images with HTTP Handler.  HTTP Handler is not limited to retrieve images only but it is really VERY powerful tool to use.

See Here all information about Handler

Thanks

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    • Marked as answer by manas1947 Monday, July 25, 2011 10:30 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 5:26 AM

All replies

• Generics allow you to define type-safe classes without compromising type safety, performance, or productivity. You implement the server only once as a generic server, while at the same time you can declare and use it with any type. To do that, use the < and > brackets, enclosing a generic type parameter. For example, here is how you define and use a generic stack:

public class Stack<T>
    {
      T[] m_Items; 
      public void Push(T item)
      {...}
      public T Pop()
      {...}
    }
    Stack<int> stack = new Stack<int>();
    stack.Push(1);
    stack.Push(2);
    int number = stack.Pop();

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/twcad0zb(v=vs.80).aspx
    J.Arun Prakash http://royalarun.blogspot.com/ Marked as answer if it is useful
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 6:31 AM

• Generic Handlers (*.ashx files) in an ASP.Net application is very different from Generics in C#.  If your question regards ashx files, please ask at http://forums.asp.net.  If you are discussing generics as applies to desktop apps, the others have answered appropriately.

--
    Mike
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:53 AM
  • sir

thanks for your reply,

i will be happy if you will send the perfect link and example.

Monday, July 18, 2011 5:02 AM
  • Hello

Handlers are used when you want to avoid the overhead of a regular asp.net page Practical examples include image processing or handling ajax requests.

Generally in ASP.NET we are used to working with .ASPX file most. ASPX file is heart of ASP.NET technology. Basically ASPX file represent HTML kind of representation which used to bind with ASPX.CS file which is largely known as code-behind file. When you run ASPX file, it compiles code-behind and display the results, but, have you ever thought that you could bypass code-behind file?

ASXH (HTTP Handler) is really very powerful but under utilized utility. Even if you search GOOGLE, you won’t find many examples. I tried to GOOGLE this topic and found mostly one example of retrieving images with HTTP Handler.  HTTP Handler is not limited to retrieve images only but it is really VERY powerful tool to use.

See Here all information about Handler

Thanks

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    • Marked as answer by manas1947 Monday, July 25, 2011 10:30 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 5:26 AM
  •  I think its a nice link for understand the GENERIC HANDLER Practically.

http://www.gigyonline.com/code/source/aspnet/ashxfile.html

Monday, July 18, 2011 6:49 AM
  • Sankar sir,

Thank you for your answer. I am somewhat satisfied with your answer.

I want some brief description about it.

WHAT IS THE MAIN FUNCTION  OF GENERIC HANDLER?

WHY ARE WE USE THIS?

IF WE WILL NOT USE ,WHAT WILL BE THE PROBLEM?

Kindly try to give the answer.

Thanking you.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:55 AM