How WHS will handle a faillure on the third or fourth drive RRS feed

• Question

• I read a lot fo info about restoring the WHS after a failure off the system drive, but here a scenario, let's say I start my server with 2 disk to use the duplicat option, later I add 2 other hard drive , for increase the storage,  my question is : what happen if the third or forth hard drive fail . 

thanks and sorry for my english

Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:10 PM

Answers

• I read a lot fo info about restoring the WHS after a failure off the system drive, but here a scenario, let's say I start my server with 2 disk to use the duplicat option, later I add 2 other hard drive , for increase the storage,  my question is : what happen if the third or forth hard drive fail . 

If it fails, you just remove it through the Console.  As long as you have Folder Duplication enabled on all of your shares, you shouldn't lose any data stored in your shares.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aqualab Sunday, October 25, 2009 8:26 PM
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:31 PM
  • Thanks Kariya21 , and what if you replace it ?
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:35 PM
    When you replace the drive, you just open the Console and add it to the storage pool.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:41 PM
  • thanks, but what about the duplicate files on the fail drive, are they gone to be re-duplicate on the new one ?
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:57 PM
  • thanks, but what about the duplicate files on the fail drive, are they gone to be re-duplicate on the new one ?
    That depends on how much free space was available after you removed the failed drive.  If there was still sufficient free space for all appropriate files to be duplicated without the failed drive in the storage pool, WHS would have already duplicated all of those files to a another drive in the storage pool (before you added the new drive).  If there was not sufficient free space, you would get warnings/error messages about one or more shares not being healthy (and would presumably take care of those messages by temporarily disabling Folder Duplication on those shares until you added the new drive, then went through the shares and re-enabled Folder Duplication on them again).
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:38 PM

All replies

If it fails, you just remove it through the Console.  As long as you have Folder Duplication enabled on all of your shares, you shouldn't lose any data stored in your shares.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:31 PM
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:31 PM
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:35 PM
    When you replace the drive, you just open the Console and add it to the storage pool.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:41 PM
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:57 PM
    That depends on how much free space was available after you removed the failed drive.  If there was still sufficient free space for all appropriate files to be duplicated without the failed drive in the storage pool, WHS would have already duplicated all of those files to a another drive in the storage pool (before you added the new drive).  If there was not sufficient free space, you would get warnings/error messages about one or more shares not being healthy (and would presumably take care of those messages by temporarily disabling Folder Duplication on those shares until you added the new drive, then went through the shares and re-enabled Folder Duplication on them again).
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:38 PM