Unable to install connector getting "An error has occured" RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install the connector on a newly built machine and running into an issue.

I couple of months ago I had a data drive fail, when I went to install WHSConnectorInstall.exe I found that it was missing. I tried running the executable from the CD and the process starts, it finds my server then does the "Downloading sfotware from your home server, 100% Complete" then throws and error stating "An error has occurred starting Windows Home Server Connector setup. Please run Windows Home Server Connector Setup manually from the Software shared folder on your server.

When I check the connector folder on my server I have 2 empty sub folders, DOTNETFX20 and WindowsInstaller31. I thought perhaps it was looking for those executables so I went out and grabbed the redistrib installers for both of em and put it in their corresponding folders and it still fails.

Can someone take a look at their structure and provide a list of what contents should be in  \software\Home Server Connector Software\ I'm assuming it's trying to pull something from there that no longer exists.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:15 PM

Answers

• Take a look at this FAQ.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nick Ortiz Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:44 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:07 PM

All replies

• Take a look at this FAQ.
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nick Ortiz Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:44 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:07 PM
  • Thanks this is exactly wha I was looking for. It's a shame that the documentation doesnt say what to do in the event of data loss / corruption.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:45 PM
  • The documentation doesn't say anything about your issue because, in every case I've investigated, it's been the result of user actions. Also, the solution that FAQ provides is unsupported, because it requires desktop access to the server, either through directly connected keyboard, video, and mouse, or through Remote Desktop. The fully supported option would be a server reinstallation/server recovery. I thought that was a pretty egregiously inconvenient answer :), so I researched the alternate method in the FAQ.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:07 PM
  • Just so you know, this answer is STILL valuable. I've been frustrated with this problem for a while now, found this answer, and now it works great. THANKS Ken!
    Monday, December 27, 2010 11:44 PM