Virtual machine RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have read a number of posts regarding virtual machines but nothing recent.  Just looking for the best solution to run a virtual machine on windows home server.  Has anyone installed VMware, Virtual Server or VPC on home server and successfully run a virtual machine?  If so where have you placed the VM file.  Twice now I have attempted to add a third hard drive without adding it to the pool in order to install a VM and applications.  Both times within a day my second hard drive shows missing in the home server console and shows again as a new hard drive but not added to the pool.  Both times I have required to do a reinstall.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:13 AM

All replies

• On my WHS I 'm running a second copy of WHS in Virtual PC 2007 for testing purposes. WHS in the VM is fully functional, it even runs automatic client backups. I am using VPC so it's not started automatically at boot time. I have the VM located on a WHS disk, used both primary and secondary disks without problem. Have not (yet) tested locating it in a (duplicated) WHS share. VPC is installed on primary disk, C partition

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:28 AM
  •      I currently have two 500G HD's with folder duplication turned on.  So I have a CTongue TiedYS partition (20G) showing and the balance as DBig SmileATA.  Just to clarify.. you have installed your VM on the D partition but outside of the shares folder? 

As a side note have you noticed any performance issues at all?  What hardware are you using?  My server is a 3.06 celeron D with 2G of RAM, not really a powerhouse but previously I was running 2 VMs in VMware on top of server 2K3 with out noticing any notable performance issues.  During the time I did have a VM installed on home server (before my second disk went missing) I also noticed performance was poor both on the VM and on home server.  What I am attempting to do is install vista ultimate to use as my media center interface for my extenders so that I only require leaving one PC on at all times.  However when I attempted to stream video and even music I was getting stuttering.  Both home server and extender are wired by the way.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:51 AM
  •  Troyleb wrote:

I currently have two 500G HD's with folder duplication turned on.  So I have a CYS partition (20G) showing and the balance as DATA.  Just to clarify.. you have installed your VM on the D partition but outside of the shares folder? 

yes

Troyleb wrote:
      As a side note have you noticed any performance issues at all?  What hardware are you using?  My server is a 3.06 celeron D with 2G of RAM, not really a powerhouse but previously I was running 2 VMs in VMware on top of server 2K3 with out noticing any notable performance issues.  During the time I did have a VM installed on home server (before my second disk went missing) I also noticed performance was poor both on the VM and on home server.  What I am attempting to do is install vista ultimate to use as my media center interface for my extenders so that I only require leaving one PC on at all times.  However when I attempted to stream video and even music I was getting stuttering.  Both home server and extender are wired by the way.

Thanks again.

My hardware: IDOT PC2500 motherboard with integrated VIA C7 1.5GHz processor, 1GB RAM, 2 x 250 GB hdd (SATA drives in IDE mode). No noticeable performance issues with host (WHS). WHS in VM is obviously somewhat slower. Personally I doubt if your setup will work for streaming video and music. I would try assinging at leat 1.5 GB of RAM to VM and perhaps use a separate network card, and set Virtual machine to run at maximum speed. For performance VMware would probably your best choice. Good luck
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 9:54 AM
  •      Thanks brubber, I appreciate the quick responses and the recommendations.  Will try as you suggested.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 11:42 AM
  • I'm running CentOS5 as a VM using VMWare on my WHS Server. I've installed a separate 80GB Hard drive exclusively for VMWare to use for it's virtual hard disk images.

It's all running fine. After installing the VM tools, the WHS will do a clean shutdown of the Linux Virtual Server before it shuts itself down, and fires up the VM after rebooting too!

I'm running with 2GB Dual-channel RAM, with 768Meg assigned to VM Ware, with CentOS having 256MB assigned.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 11:43 AM
  •      Hi Richard, thanks for the reply.  This is how I have attempted to set it up previously as well, as this appears to be the most recommended solution on these posts and some have stated that installing anything on the D drive is not recommended.  I also am running sharepoint installed on the SYS drive right now, currently only using for shared calendar, tasks & contacts, and would like to also install SQL server and move the database to this drive. 

However as previously stated for some reason this appears to be effecting the home server disk management somehow.  The first time was my error as I used server 2003 disk management to partition the drive (didn't read the instructions first).  However the second time I did not and only added the second hard drive without using disk management.  It appeared in the home server console as not added to pool and shoed in my computer with a drive letter assigned.  Everything appeared OK for a day even after reboots but eventually my second hard drive showed missing in the home server console.  After a few reboots it appeared again but showed as unhealthy and I was receiving an error message stating that the backup service was not running.  I deleted all backups which cleared the backup service message but the disk still showed as unhealthy.  When I attempted to run repair I received the error message "an unexpected error has occured in the windows home server storage manager".  The disk showed in my computer with a drive letter assigned but no other info (capacity or free space) showing.  Running check disk gave me the error "Corrupt master file at chkdsk).

Any feedback at this time as to what may be causing this issue would be greatly appreciated as this would be my preference to install both my VM and SQL database along with any other applications in the future

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 11:42 PM
  •  

I have several virtual pc 2007 virtual machines installed and I operate them from time to time.  I have them stored in a shared folder marked "virtual pc" (how creative, right?).  You seem to have a lot of stuff in the whs box... when I first started tested whs I installed a bunch of stuff, then started tinkering with it.  One think I've found out is messing with whs is the easiest way to self-destruction.  Seems to work best when it is used in the confines of backup, and storage. 

When I stepped outside of those things (doing simple things), errors started.  Now that I stopped "tinkering" things have been fairly smooth for two months.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 6:49 AM
  •      Hi Theog, thanks for the reply.  Do you have folder duplication turned on for this folder?  Have you noticed any notable performance issues?

The only other software I have installed at this time is sharepoint services 3.0.  I find this fits my needs for storing shared calendar, contacts and tasks for my wife and I to be able to access / edit from any of our PC's on our network.  The reason I am contemplating installing SQL server is if I decide to do more with sharepoint and create a larger database.   I would also like to install a virtual Vista ultimate machine to use for my extenders as noted above but have been having issues. 

However, as of today it appears my issue is not related to adding another hard drive without adding to the pool or the virtual machine.  I did a fresh install on Saturday only installing sharepoint services and adding my data back again.  I then turned off the machine and when I started it back up again today I am having issues again with the second hard drive showing as missing. 

Thanks all for your reply's and suggestions, any further recommendations will be appreciated.  I will open a new post for my drive issues. 

Thursday, February 7, 2008 12:35 AM