none
Syncing XP, External, and Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I have a PC and a Laptop but they're rarely used at the same time, so I want my external hard drive to be the backup and the link between them.
    eg When using the PC regularly sync to a copy of the documents folder on the ext hard drive, and then when using the laptop sync to the same documents folder so I'll essentially have 3 identical copies of everything all up to date.

Would be very easy with synctoy on PC and Laptop if they both had the same OS - But PC is XP and Laptop is Vista.
    Vista obviously has a different folder structure with Music in a completely different place from My Music on XP.

But I have noticed that in the Documents folder of Vista there are some hidden 'My Music' shortcut-syle' links I assume are there for legacy so that anything that tries to get put into 'My Music' is redirected to the right place.

So If I just tried to sync 'My Documents' to a 'Backup Documents' folder on the ext drive.
    And then sync 'Backup Documents' to 'Documents' in Vista, would it work out?
    Would I just end up with duplication with a 'My Music' and also a 'Music' file?

In which case I'll have to just create seperate rules for the special folders in Documents/My Documents and then seperately sync everything that's left in Documents/My Documents excluding those folders.

Sorry if I haven't explained myself clearly.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 11:04 PM

All replies

• Have you tested this yet? I'm facing a similar situation and would appreciate hearing what you've learned.
    Monday, January 26, 2009 6:12 PM
  • I haven't tried - would need to be more sure that it wouldn't mess everything up. Might still try when I have spare time.

I decided to do it the long way -

• Sync Music to My Music
    • Sync Videos to My Videos
    • Sync Pictures to My Pictures
    • Sync Desktop folders (Excluding *lnk so shortcuts aren't  copied)
    • Sync Documents to My Documents with exclusions of the Music, Videos and Pictures folders

It all seems to be working find now though I won't really find out till I've run all the programs that keep files in Documents/My Documents and see if they complain about not finding what they expect in there. E..g my two 'My Weblog Posts' folders have been merged (put there by two different Windows Live Writer apps) and I haven't even started that to see what it does.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:49 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, Sandrw!

I've read somewhere that Synctoy doesn't work between XP and Vista. And yet, you've got it working. Odd. Maybe it's the different folder structure that they were referring to.

Since I wrote earlier today I've been experimenting with the free version of Syncback:
    http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html
    It works but has the same problem as Synctoy probably has. If I don't do each folder differently, just like you did, it *does* make a mess of them.

Syncback lets you run a simulation, which is very handy. I wonder if Synctoy has that feature? That'd let you know for sure without doing any damage.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:06 AM
  •  

HI -

In SyncToy we call "simulation" as "Preview" mode. That will let you see what are the changes that we will attempt to do.

Thanks

Deepa

Friday, January 30, 2009 2:01 AM