locked
should I auto-map users for a migration from one server to another? RRS feed

  • Question

  • MSCRM v4.0 UR11 On Premise

    I would like to understand better the options for mapping the users. I am migrating multiple organizations from SBS 2003 and SQL Server 2005 SP4 to Server 2008 R2 64 and SQL Server 2008 R2 64. Here are my steps so far.

    1. Made a copy of my most recent backups of the organization databases (5).
    2. Installed SQL Server 2008 R2 64bit on Server 2008 R2 64bit
    3. Added .NET Framework 3.5
    4. Tried to install CRM v4.0 (amd64)
        a. It wanted ASP.NET and Full Text Search
    5. Added necessary components
    6. Successfully installed CRM
    7. Installed Update Rollup 11 (amd64)
    8. Restored organization databases
    9. Opened Deployment Manager
    10. Import an organization to start the wizard

    I got to the Select Method for Mapping Users stage of the wizard. It has a lot of different options and it seems that the proper choice really depends on why you're importing the organization. I have been following Donna Edwards' migration guide at the following link.

    https://edwardsdna.wordpress.com/2011/06/07/migratecrm/

    She suggests using Auto Map Users "unless you need a different option". It seems logical to me that if I want the migrated deployment to have all the same users to just keep the existing users. I would rather take the correct choice first than try it and see what happens.

    Thank you for reading and I hope that this post may help someone in the future.


    Eric Hula - CRM Administrator


    • Edited by Eric Hula Friday, April 27, 2012 9:23 PM
    Friday, April 27, 2012 9:23 PM

Answers

  • Hi Eric,

    If you are migrating to a server in the same domain as the source server, the auto map is most likely the best option. It attempts to find a domain user with the same logon name as in the database being imported. If for some reason it can't find one, you'll get the option to map it manually.

    Hth,

    Scott


    Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

    Friday, April 27, 2012 9:48 PM
    Answerer
  • Final update, the import succeeded. Due to some confusing user changes, I failed to notice that the users who I thought were critical, were actually disabled AD users. I can understand that the user mapping can't map to disabled users. It would be better if it displayed an error message rather than crashing the deployment manager.

    Thanks for the advice!

    Eric Hula - CRM Administrator

    • Marked as answer by Eric Hula Monday, April 30, 2012 6:56 PM
    Monday, April 30, 2012 6:56 PM

All replies

  • Hi Eric,

    If you are migrating to a server in the same domain as the source server, the auto map is most likely the best option. It attempts to find a domain user with the same logon name as in the database being imported. If for some reason it can't find one, you'll get the option to map it manually.

    Hth,

    Scott


    Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

    Friday, April 27, 2012 9:48 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm not out of the woods yet. I tried to auto map and manually map. When I try to access the AD user info, the installation crashes. It happens whether I choose manual or auto which fails and suggests to then map it manually. I also tried mapping the setup user first. It's the same user that was used to setup the organization originally. I think my next step at this point is calling MS.

    Eric Hula - CRM Administrator

    Monday, April 30, 2012 1:28 PM
  • Hi Eric,

    Even when auto mapping fails, you can still click 'next' and see which users it managed to map, and which ones require manual mapping. In fact you can leave user un-mapped altogether if those users don't existing in AD any more.

    hth,

    Scott


    Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

    Monday, April 30, 2012 2:39 PM
    Answerer
  • Update on what's happening.

    I figured out that the Deployment Manager only crashes once I try to map users manually. I misread part of the display and thought none of the users were mapped. It failed to map the disabled  AD users and a couple active AD users, including the owner of the company.  Apparently, CRM has a sense of irony.

    I decided to continue the import minus those two users and try to bring them afterwards. Testing it now.

    Also, MS suggested checking to see if Windows Firewall was off. It was set to off, but to block incoming as a default. As a test, I turned it on and set it to allow from the domain profile tab. That didn't change the behavior. I turned back off.

    They also suggested as a workaround to uninstall CRM, restore the MSCRM_CONFIG database from the production server to the test server, and then reinstall CRM. This time, we would use the install into an existing org instead of a new one if I understood him correctly.


    Eric Hula - CRM Administrator

    Monday, April 30, 2012 5:00 PM
  • Final update, the import succeeded. Due to some confusing user changes, I failed to notice that the users who I thought were critical, were actually disabled AD users. I can understand that the user mapping can't map to disabled users. It would be better if it displayed an error message rather than crashing the deployment manager.

    Thanks for the advice!

    Eric Hula - CRM Administrator

    • Marked as answer by Eric Hula Monday, April 30, 2012 6:56 PM
    Monday, April 30, 2012 6:56 PM