How can I customize the behavior and appearance of the installer of my application when I publish the application? RRS feed

• Question

• WHAT I HAVE:

Visual Basic 2019, .NET 4.6.1

MY PROBLEM:

In the pre-.NET days of VB, the (main) installer program for one's application was itself a VB program, allowing one to customize how the installation package looked and behaved when run. How does one customize the look and behavior of a VB.NET program's installer when publishing? I'd value any input on this, as I eventually will have to publish my application, and I don't want it to necessarily have a "generic" look and behavior.

It appears that I need a third-party tool in order to create an installer with a customized appearance and behavior. The thing is, I don't have a lot of money. What are my cheapest options, given what I want to be able to do?

Robert Gustafson

Monday, July 13, 2020 3:37 AM

All replies

• I've been happy with Inno Setup - it's free and you can customize the behavior.  It's script-based and it's very easy to work into an automated build process (unlike any of the Visual Studio options).

Convert between VB, C#, C++, & Java (http://www.tangiblesoftwaresolutions.com)
    Instant C# - VB to C# Converter
    Instant VB - C# to VB Converter

Monday, July 13, 2020 3:35 PM
  • I recently downloaded and installed Inno Setup, along with NSIS, Visual & Installer, and Graphical Installer Wizard--but the V & I extensions menu doesn't list the menu items "Inno Setup" and "NSIS", much less their submenus. What's more, V & I's user manual doesn't describe how to create and edit IS script files from the VS IDE. I've sent several emails to Unsigned (V & I's parent company) about this, but I've gotten no reply as yet. The only V & I options I seem to have are to invoke the manual, go to the website, show tip of the day, report bugs (which just directs me to Google Chrome), adjust settings, and show About--nothing that would help me set up an installer package. (And yes, I did register V & I, wheras GIW doesn't seem to have an option for registering.)

WHAT GIVES?!

(What's more, I'm out about $300 for all my troubles.)
    Monday, July 13, 2020 8:23 PM
  • Hi RobertGustafson,

Thanks for your feedback.

According to your description, you can consider posting your question in other forum for more efficient responses. 

Unfortunately we do not provide help for third-party products.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 2:02 AM