Windows validates as genuine, but not on Windows Update RRS feed

• Question

• My version of Windows validates as genuine (section from WGA output here)

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0526.1):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-36J2P-HT3T3-QPMFB
    Windows Product Key Hash: +NNF346DA3Rr/gGjXZtwAv8AQuM=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00100
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    Download Center code: QYV4F3C
    ID: cb1a779e-d851-4387-afca-c99abd2d99bf
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.526.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete
    (etc.etc)

However the first thing Windows Update now wants to do is download another copy of the validator, which it fails to do (sits around waiting for ages, then fails the download). Here are the first few lines from "Review your Update History".

Windows XP Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) 22 May 2006 Windows Update
    Windows XP Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) 22 May 2006 Microsoft Update
    Windows XP Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) 22 May 2006 Microsoft Update

Clicking on any of the the above links pops up a window with the following:

Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)
    The Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool enables you to verify that your copy of Microsoft Windows is genuine. The tool validates your Windows installation by checking Windows Product Identification and Product Activation status.
    Get help and support
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39157

and following that link takes me to a page where I can happily verify AGAIN that the copy of windows is genuine (works every time!).

My problem is that the other updates will not download without doing this one first. Could somone please throw some light on this?

Monday, May 22, 2006 3:10 PM

Answers

• I was having the same issue.  Windows would validate as genuine but windows update would not recognize the validation and would prompt and fail every time.

This is what I did, and it resolved the problem:

Opened Internet Explorer (V6).  Clicked Tools > Manage Add-ons and then located and selected the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool add-on.  Clicked on the Update ActiveX button to update the add-on. Closed the dialog.  Closed Explorer.  Opened a new Internet Explorer window; went to Windows Update site and now it didn't prompt me with the validation dialog but went ahead and gave me my update information. 

Hope this works for you!!

Good luck!

-Steve-

Monday, May 22, 2006 10:15 PM
  • I solved my problem a different way.  I was able to find a couple of hot fixes from a washington post article I found.  When I tried to install them I kept getting permission errors.  I was logged in as a local administrator.  This machine is part of an active directory domain.  I then logged in as a domain admin and all updates including the windows genuine advantage update tool installed properly.

This is not the first time I have had this problem but I have always gotten a permissions failure error in the past.  All the genuine tool would give is a installation failed message.  All the genuine tool diagnostics passed as well.  The event log showed an error code of 80071004 when the installation failed.  I searched the internet and the MS site using this code and found nothing to help with this issue.

I will file the IE6 solution in my file for later use if needed.

Thanks

Monday, May 22, 2006 10:46 PM

All replies

• maxbarr:

I'm very sorry for the problems you are having.  We are investigating this issue to determine what is causing it and hope to have a fix for it soon. 

Thanks,

Greg

Monday, May 22, 2006 3:46 PM
  • I am having the same problem on one of our notebooks.  I have tried removing the windows genuine advantage application.  It is successfully removed but still get the failed installation.

Monday, May 22, 2006 7:08 PM
  • Error message when you try to install the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) Validation Tool from the Windows Update Web site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917499/en-us

Windows Genuine Advantage - Diagnostic Site http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/  

Monday, May 22, 2006 8:02 PM
  • I was having the same issue.  Windows would validate as genuine but windows update would not recognize the validation and would prompt and fail every time.

This is what I did, and it resolved the problem:

Opened Internet Explorer (V6).  Clicked Tools > Manage Add-ons and then located and selected the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool add-on.  Clicked on the Update ActiveX button to update the add-on. Closed the dialog.  Closed Explorer.  Opened a new Internet Explorer window; went to Windows Update site and now it didn't prompt me with the validation dialog but went ahead and gave me my update information. 

Hope this works for you!!

Good luck!

-Steve-

Monday, May 22, 2006 10:15 PM
  • I solved my problem a different way.  I was able to find a couple of hot fixes from a washington post article I found.  When I tried to install them I kept getting permission errors.  I was logged in as a local administrator.  This machine is part of an active directory domain.  I then logged in as a domain admin and all updates including the windows genuine advantage update tool installed properly.

This is not the first time I have had this problem but I have always gotten a permissions failure error in the past.  All the genuine tool would give is a installation failed message.  All the genuine tool diagnostics passed as well.  The event log showed an error code of 80071004 when the installation failed.  I searched the internet and the MS site using this code and found nothing to help with this issue.

I will file the IE6 solution in my file for later use if needed.

Thanks

Monday, May 22, 2006 10:46 PM
  • Many thanks to steveteal, used that method to update the validation tool, and then went to the Windows Update site - it immediately recognised the later version and did not ask to download it again.

Downloaded a trial update, and it is now working perfectly.

Many thanks for your help... Strange that the problem should only affect the validation download though!

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 10:40 PM
  •   Saturday afternoon I went to MSUpdate, (as I've learned the IMPORTANCE of keeping my OS updated & I REFUSE to use AU) not expecting to find anything, since I did this month's updates 2ish weeks ago. So, imagine my surprise when, instead of the neon green "searching for ..." scroll box, the WGA *Tool* (kb892130) is required, once again!  

Suddenly, the conspiracy theorist within says,"Aha! the *critical update*  WGA *Notification* (kb905474) nonsense they tried to pull last month didn't fill "idiot quota" as expected!! They didn't expect that anybody would actually read the EULA, & refuse it,this must be their "workaround" to get kb905474 installed, they're disguising it as kb892130, I just KNOW it!!!" 

I HAVEN'T SEEN IT MENTIONED ANYWHERE, BUT KB905474 WAS A *CRITICAL* UPDATE ON MICROSOFT UPDATE, 4/06, ALSO; NOT JUST AUTOMATIC UPDATES

Then I put on my "aluminum alloy cranial firewall" (foil cap), &, after successfully blocking those pesky signals; I began what turned out to be a surprisingly successful forum search, locating the most elusive of creatures, "actual info in plain english". (If it's accurate,that is!)  

I've finally managed to pull together a satisfactory, & IMO, perfectly reasonable, explanation (for MS,anyway) WHY kb892130 is required, AGAIN! Okay, so, let me see if I've got this right:

Once MS discovers a way that WGA is being circumvented , they write a patch/update for WGA to close thatpath, right? So, should we start to expect to have to validate as PART of the "monthly cycle" (aptly named, as this also causes mood swings & pain!hahaha!)NO, because...

...Suddenly, out of the darkness, a ray of light emerges... steveteal ... the brilliance is in its simplicity [just update the WGA active x in IE], isn't it? Thank You, Steve, you have my utmost gratitude!!!

And, Thank You, MaxBarr for starting this thread!!! Wow, I can't believe it, I've finally had my first "searchgasm"(total info satisfaction!!).     

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 12:40 PM
  • hi, i have done a search and it came up as my version of windows being genuine. though when i start my computer it still comes up with my copy is not genuine. wat does this mean?
    Sunday, June 4, 2006 8:16 AM
  • I have been posting some information on another Blog

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=442475&SiteID=25

Maybe it helps folks out.  I have had NO LUCK yet, but... maybe one of these related links will have a good answer.

HOT FIX failed

Friday, June 16, 2006 2:02 PM
  • I have this WGA problem. I have tried to follow your very clear advice, but when I get as far as choosing the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool add on it says "This add-on is managed by your administrator"

But I'm the only account on my PC and I'm listed on 'User Accounts' as the computer administrator?!?

Any advice would be really gratefully received,

Stu

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 3:48 PM
  • mine might have validated but last time i downloaded it my computer crashed and i had to replace my hard drive V.V.expensive especially as the company that supplied the computer went bust about 2 weeks after i got the pc. and now i have got it working again i don't want to risk any more damage again, at an even greater cost, is there any way to get nessesary updates without installing WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool)? Any help would be appricated.
    Thursday, August 17, 2006 8:49 PM