Very Strange Networking Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I've built a Home Server on an MSI Axis 690 platform. Until a couple of days back, my router was an Apple Airport Extreme. However, with the failing of my DSL modem, I decied to get an all-in-one router. I've swutched between three routers in one day- first a Netgear, then a DLink and now finally a Linksys WAG160. Neither of these can connect to my Home Server. The NIC light just flashed on the first two with a "Network Cable Unplugged" message while on the Linksys, the NIC light turns greem but I cannot acquire an IP address from the router. Manually putting an IP doesnt help either. The weird part is that if I connect my Airport Extreme back, the Network comes alive instantly on the Home Server.

I have the option of putting the Linksys in a bridged mode just to use its ADSL modem but that would be a bit of a shame and a waste of my US$130. Can anyone tell me why the Home Server doesnt want to connect to any other router except my Apple Extreme (seems a bit ironic). Is there any other solution that I can implement?
    Monday, April 27, 2009 8:38 PM

All replies

• It sounds to me like there's something wrong with the cable between your router and your home server, or with your home server's network interface. Have you checked to confirm that your server can still connect to other computers on your network via the Apple yet? You don't need an internet connection for that...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 27, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Yep- when its on the Apple Extreme, everything works without any issue. I can access all the shares on the Home Server and the PCs get backed up as well. The only thing I havent figured out yet is the remote access part- since its going through two different routers, its probably a matter of configuration.

Also tried three different cables but no luck with other routers. If the the NIC/Cable was bad, it wouldnt work on the Apple Router either right?
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:05 AM