Many Questions??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I apologize if these questions are answered elswhere.  I couldn't find the answers.  I'm trying to decide between WHS and standard NAS devices such as Netgears ReadyNAS.  Appreciate any help with answering the following:

How many hard drives can WHS support?

Can WHS be setup to schedule automatic backups (a) to a network share located on another device which is password protected and (b) of a network share located on another devices which is password protected?

If a hard drive fails, will WHS notify me by e-mail?

Is connector software required for each client or does each client access WHS as standard network shares?

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:07 PM

All replies

• All of your questions are answered, here and/or in documentation available on on the Microsoft Windows Home Server mini-site .

Hard drives: there is no stated limit. I know of servers with 10 or more drives...

Backing up the server to a network share: No. Locally attached storage only.

Backing up from a network share: No. Client computers only.

Notifications: system health warnings are displayed using the server console and the system tray application.

Connector software is required for a client to be backed up to the server. Any computer on the network can access shares, assuming the user logged in to that computer has proper permissions on the server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:35 PM
  • For the limits it's been taken to 32TB and 16 drives in a virtual environment:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/brendangrant/archive/2009/02/13/the-myth-of-the-16tb-limit.aspx

As ken says there are people using 10+ drives with well over 10TB without problems, HP tout their home servers as handling up 17TB

One big plus that Windows Home Server has is drive extender.  Basically you can add drives as you need and replace smaller drives with larger ones without having to rebuild the array (because there isn't one) - you just tell Windows Home Server that you are going to add or remove a drive and it handles the rest for you.

Also you get to pick and choose at a folder share level what data you want to protect with duplication and this comes out of the same pool - with a NAS you'd have to preallocate space to a particular RAID array for the job.

With respect to email notifications there is a add-in for that:
    http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19

--
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 12:47 PM