Move Money 98 from Win 7 to Win10 RRS feed

• Question

• Running Money 98 on Win 7 laptop. Buying a new laptop running Win 10. Understand Sunset and 98 not compatible but Money 2004 is. Can I upgrade 98 to 2004 on the Win 7 laptop, move that to the Win 10 laptop and then download Sunset? If not then is there a another solution. Thanks

Monday, December 31, 2018 12:18 PM

All replies

• Yes, that should work assuming that your Money 98 is a US version.  Have a look at this thread:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6b7ffb67-58df-460f-8fd3-26ba17ca1e54/money-2004-trial-download-on-waybackmachineorg?forum=money

for information on how to get a suitable version of Money 2004.

It's a pretty old link, so please let us know if you are successful or if you need an alternative.

Be sure to keep a copy of your current Money.mny file on one or more backup media until you know that you have been successful.

Bill Becker

Monday, December 31, 2018 3:51 PM
  • If you could get a full version of Money 2004, you might consider running that. It should run on Windows 10 64 bit, and will directly convert your Money 98 if both are from the US.

To convert your US Money 98 to Money Plus, do as Bill Becker said. I just tested, and M12USWEB.exe is still available for performing that intermediate step.

After installing Money Plus Deluxe Sunset, install the patch described in what is currently the first post in this forum.

Monday, December 31, 2018 4:04 PM
  • After reading some of the responses to similar questions I checked the version of Money I am running; Version 17.0.0.3817, and from other responses this may be a later version than 98 I thought I was running. Will that version run on Win 10 and if not is there a different solution.  I am not that "computer literate" and I do appreciate your help. Thanks!
    Tuesday, January 1, 2019 12:23 PM
  • Version 17.0.120.3817 is Money Plus Deluxe Sunset, which works on Windows 10.

Download the install file and install on the new computer. On the new Money Sunset install, apply the patched version of
    mnyob99.dll as described in what is currently the first post on this forum.

1.  On the old computer, close Money.  Copy your latest *.mny file
    to your flash drive.

If you have a permissions problem on the new computer, you can
    format the flash drive to FAT32 format and return to this step.
    FAT32 does not maintain ownership information.

2. On the new computer, copy your *.mny file to a location that you
    have full control of and that is not mirrored by OneDrive or any
    other cloud software. This may be your Documents folder, or it may
    be a new folder that you create for the purpose.

3.Open Money by right-clicking the file, and choosing Open.

4.  Once inside, Tools->Settings->BackupSettings to set the backups to a
    place that exists on the new computer.  Use Browse to help find a
    place that exists.  Consider your backup strategy.  You may want to
    make the upon-exit backup to be a place in your Documents folder,
    and put your scheduled backup on a Flash drive.  That way, a hard
    drive crash does not make you lose all of your backups.

Tuesday, January 1, 2019 3:20 PM