Automatic Backup Fails, Manual Backup works ok RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm sorry that I couldn't find a related post, though I'm sure they exist. The search feature currently won't limit to just this forum, but instead uses the whole www. My problem is that 2 out of 3 client laptops are having trouble with automatic backup. They are left on ac power and put on sleep(vista) and standby(xp). The Dell Vostro 1500(Vista Home Prem) always works ok. The Dell Inspiron 6400(Vista Ult) rarely ever works, but has at least one time. The Sony Vaio VGN-TX790P (XP Pro)has never done an automatic backup.

I thought it might be useful to trigger an automatic backup so I can observe if they are coming out of standby or not, but I haven't found any tools or commands to do this. I have found many things to check, and I am working through them. But when I have to wait 24 hours to check if they were successful or not, troubleshooting kind of drags out a bit. I have read that often the hardware or bios settings are to blame for power management features, or that some laptops will not wake from hibernation, but will from standby. Could someone give me some structured diagnostic steps to take here? Any help greatly appreciated, thank you.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:09 AM

Answers

• Well I tried several things, including your suggestion. I think that what contributed most to the backup failures was that fact that I had my wireless router on a schedule. It was set to turn off wireless at 11pm and turn it back on at 6am. The WHS backups were scheduled from 6am to 9am. So either it was the inconsistant wireless connectivity or perhaps too short of a window to get all 7 backups completed.

I have turned off the wireless scheduler so it's on 24/7 and adjusted the backup schedule to 3am to 9am. Since then I get much more consistant automatic backups. It's not 100% but I'm no longer getting system health messages about it.

This is okay, but I'm still left with questions about WHS. If a laptop is used away from home on battery power and is put to sleep while on battery power, can it then be brought home and plugged in and have the backup work okay? What about the same scenario but with no network connection at the time of sleep, will it bother to wake if backup conditions weren't favorable when it was put in sleep? I'm sure I'll get around to testing these things but I think there should be better way to debug this thing.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, November 20, 2009 8:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by ratchet26 Monday, March 8, 2010 7:41 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 9:05 AM

All replies

• Leave the computers that are failing to back up on overnight and see if they back up automatically. For what it's worth, I have client computers running XP, Vista, and Windows 7, and all back up successfully from sleep/standby mode.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Well I tried several things, including your suggestion. I think that what contributed most to the backup failures was that fact that I had my wireless router on a schedule. It was set to turn off wireless at 11pm and turn it back on at 6am. The WHS backups were scheduled from 6am to 9am. So either it was the inconsistant wireless connectivity or perhaps too short of a window to get all 7 backups completed.

I have turned off the wireless scheduler so it's on 24/7 and adjusted the backup schedule to 3am to 9am. Since then I get much more consistant automatic backups. It's not 100% but I'm no longer getting system health messages about it.

This is okay, but I'm still left with questions about WHS. If a laptop is used away from home on battery power and is put to sleep while on battery power, can it then be brought home and plugged in and have the backup work okay? What about the same scenario but with no network connection at the time of sleep, will it bother to wake if backup conditions weren't favorable when it was put in sleep? I'm sure I'll get around to testing these things but I think there should be better way to debug this thing.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, November 20, 2009 8:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by ratchet26 Monday, March 8, 2010 7:41 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 9:05 AM
    or perhaps too short of a window to get all 7 backups completed.
    Mostly this, particularly if any clients were actually backing up over wireless, which will be much slower than a wired connection.
    If a laptop is used away from home on battery power and is put to sleep while on battery power, can it then be brought home and plugged in and have the backup work okay? What about the same scenario but with no network connection at the time of sleep, will it bother to wake if backup conditions weren't favorable when it was put in sleep?
    The answer to these questions will depend primarily on your hardware. It can work, and I have a laptop that does, but I also have one that doesn't.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 20, 2009 11:30 AM