Microsoft Money no longer works after Windows Update on 3/11/16 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Money with no issue until yesterday when my computer re-booted.  Now I cannot open Money and I see that a Windows update was installed on 3/11/16.  I see from reviewing this forum that many of you have faced this same problem several months ago.  The directions with screen shots provided were excellent, but the build I am finding is not the same as the one mentioned.  I've done several google searches and everything refers to replacing 9.11.10240.16384 with 9.11.10240.0.  The build version in my registry is 9.11.10586.0  the same # is assigned to the W2kVersion.  There is also a svcVersion with build # 11.162.10586.0.  Before I make any changes to the registry, I just want to confirm if the same fix will work for me.  

I desperately need to get my Money programming as I have several years of data stored there.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!!

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 11:45 PM

Answers

• DominicP and AshleyST are giving good advice, but here are a couple of simpler thing to try:

- first, before you do any experimenting, be sure to back up your Money.mny file and any .mbf backup files to a different location, - a flash drive or DVD

- next, try opening the sample.mny file.  It is probably located in C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Money Pluus folder.  If this opens then it would imply that your Money installation is OK but your Money.mny file is damaged.  In that case an older backup might work.

- try uninstalling the update  KB3140768 that was installed on 3/11/2016.  You can do this by going to Settings>Update & Security>Advanced Options>View Your Update History>Uninstall Updates.  IF you are lucky, uninstalling this (or one of the other that was installed on 3/11) will fix the problem.  That would confirm that the update was the issue.  Then if you are really lucky, re-installing the update might succeed without causing problems for Money.

I am just now updating my Windows 10 machine and will post back with my experience with these updates.

Bill Becker

• Marked as answer by MichelleZog Sunday, March 20, 2016 4:14 AM
    Friday, March 18, 2016 7:48 PM

All replies

• Don't do any registry changes.  If your update brought your computer up to Windows 10 and your are running Money Plus, then you need to replace your mnyob99.dll file with a patched version.

Look at the first "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

It describes the need to replace the mnyob99.dll file with a patched version and points to this site:

https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2012/12/02/windows-8-64-bit-version-compatibility-with-sunset-money/

which contains instructions on how to do the replacement and this link to a download of the patched file:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zj0amk06ax57cfg/mnyob99.dll

When on that download page, be careful to just download the mnyob99.dll file (9.09Mb).  The other links are for different programs.

Post back is you need further help with this. and let us know if it works for you.

If you are running a different version of Money. post back with the version as there may be a different problem.

Bill Becker

Thursday, March 17, 2016 2:22 AM
  • Bill,

I downloaded the file and followed the instructions to replace my current version, but unfortunately I am still having the same issue.  

I want to clarify that I was already on Windows 10 prior to the update I received on 3/11/16.  I had updated to Windows 10 several month ago and had been using Money with no issue until this week.  The quick screen that pops up when I try to start Money says I am running Money Plus Deluxe version 17.0 

I checked the Windows updates I received and it was actually a Security update that came through on 3/11 - KB3140768.  A security update for Adobe Flash Player came with it as well.  Prior to that there were back to back Updates to Windows on 3/5 (KB3140743) and 3/3 (KB3139907).

I hope that information helps.  If there is anything else you need, please let me know.

I appreciate your help so much!

Friday, March 18, 2016 3:37 AM
  • Do not modify the registry. The modification was needed only before the first Cumulative Update to Windows 10 in August 2015.

Uninstall Money, reboot, then install Money Sunset from the link in the second post in this forum. Replace the mnyob99.dll file in the new installation. Money should then open.

If there are problems with your data file, run File-Repair.

If Money does not open after re-installation your Windows installation is probably damaged. If this is so, you can either try to Reset your Windows installation or perform a clean install - after backing up your user data. If you choose a reinstallation, use the Media Creation Tool to create media for the latest version of Windows 10. Provided your current, updated Windows 10 installation is activated you will not need a Windows 10 product key.

Friday, March 18, 2016 1:39 PM
  • I suspect your problem is related to fix KB3140768.

That is a cumulative update which hits a lot components. There are numerous reports

of it failing to install properly and users running into other problems.  

As I've kept well clear of Windows 10, I do not have a system to try and recreate the

problem on, sorry.

Friday, March 18, 2016 4:24 PM
  • DominicP and AshleyST are giving good advice, but here are a couple of simpler thing to try:

- first, before you do any experimenting, be sure to back up your Money.mny file and any .mbf backup files to a different location, - a flash drive or DVD

- next, try opening the sample.mny file.  It is probably located in C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Money Pluus folder.  If this opens then it would imply that your Money installation is OK but your Money.mny file is damaged.  In that case an older backup might work.

- try uninstalling the update  KB3140768 that was installed on 3/11/2016.  You can do this by going to Settings>Update & Security>Advanced Options>View Your Update History>Uninstall Updates.  IF you are lucky, uninstalling this (or one of the other that was installed on 3/11) will fix the problem.  That would confirm that the update was the issue.  Then if you are really lucky, re-installing the update might succeed without causing problems for Money.

I am just now updating my Windows 10 machine and will post back with my experience with these updates.

Bill Becker

• Marked as answer by MichelleZog Sunday, March 20, 2016 4:14 AM
    Friday, March 18, 2016 7:48 PM
  • I installed the latest updates on my Money 10 box and Money is still running fine.

Let us know which of the above suggestions you have tried and how you make out.

Bill Becker

Friday, March 18, 2016 9:26 PM
  • Hello-I am having a similar issue except mine does run--it just fails on Online Services updates.  I too have only found these registry fixes, and went through the effort of trying them; however once I did this Money wouldn't open at all.  I reverted back to original settings and it launches again.  My build is the same as what you posted.
    Saturday, March 19, 2016 3:28 PM
  • Bill,

I backed up the files as suggested and then opened the sample.mny file.  It opened up just fine.  I double clicked on my back up file and a window popped up giving me the option to Restore the File.  I selected that option and then Money opened up and seems to be working.  I'm going to shutdown, restart and see if I can still open the program - keeping my fingers crossed.

Sunday, March 20, 2016 4:03 AM
  • I have Money back up and running!  Thank you to everyone for your recommendations.  I appreciate the quick responses and thorough explanations.

Bill your suggestion to try opening the Sample file and then trying an older backup seemed to do the trick.  I actually did the file restore on my most recent back up and now I can open Money with no issues.  I did some spot checking and all my data seems to be there.  It's late now, but I'll be using it quite a bit tomorrow and will give it a thorough work out then to make sure no other problems pop up.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Sunday, March 20, 2016 4:20 AM
  • Hello-I am having a similar issue except mine does run--it just fails on Online Services updates.  I too have only found these registry fixes, and went through the effort of trying them; however once I did this Money wouldn't open at all.  I reverted back to original settings and it launches again.  My build is the same as what you posted.

Similar?  What version of Money are you using?
    Monday, March 21, 2016 1:35 PM